What's up with Angry Birds and ads?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ctsoxfan, Apr 12, 2011.

1. ctsoxfan macrumors member

Last week, I was going to give in and buy one of the angry birds games for the iPad to see what all the fuss was about - but I noticed a whole slew on recent 1 star reviews that all complained about ads showing up in the paid versions after a recent update. I looked again today, and while it doesn't seem like the game was updated since then, now there are only 5 star reviews, and none of them mention ads. Are these planted reviews? Does anyone know what the real scoop is on the recent update to angry birds?

2. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Ok a small update there is something called Rovio news that pops up between levels, not sure that was there before or not.

4. ctsoxfan thread starter macrumors member

I think it that was it - Roxio "news". I wouldn't care if I didn't see all of those pissed off reviews regarding this. Lots of unhappy folks! I would bet that the developers took notice of that.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

There's a free version as well as a free versions of the "Rio" and "Seasons" versions. I was planning on buying the $5 version, but it's going to take me long enough to get through all the levels in these free ones.... and hopefully by then they'll have released another free one. :) Though I suppose if you find yourself horribly addicted and breeze through the free one then paying for it makes sense (if they remove the ads? I see those reviews, too!). But if you just want to see what the fuss is about, no reason to pay.

6. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

Yes there is add in them and I hate it, I can't believe that after I paid for it I still get to get these adds :mad:

7. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

No, I bought it and there is adds, maybe not as much as iPhone but they are there. I've been really slowing down on buying apps. If apple is removing low ratings than I just can't trust the rationgs.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Apple isn't removing ratings. There are ratings for each version. If a new update was released, then you have to click on the "View previous versions" (or something like that its called) to see the old ratings.

9. ctsoxfan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the updates and info - I'm going to hold off buying this until I hear the ads are gone.

10. whiskeyred macrumors regular

11. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

12. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

ive been playing rio hd and there hasnt been any ads.