What's up with Apple raising accessory prices?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Not a week ago, I was browsing Apple's online store for some sort of dock for my 3GS. I saw the iPhone 3G dock at $29 and the Universal Dock for $49. I go to the site tonight and Apple has jacked the price up on a bunch of things:

Component and composite AV cables now $55. Universal Dock now $55. 3G/3GS dock now $35. USB power adapter $35.

What the hell is up with this? Drop the prices like crazy on computers and then nickel and dime it back on the iPhone crowd? I'm NOT a big fan of this considering how I keep discovering that almost everything I used for my iPhone doesn't work on this new one. To turn around and jack the prices up a week after the release just seems like bad ... something.

2. Magsec4 macrumors member

Sounds a lot like the price comparison between the US and Canadian Apple store prices... you sure you were/are browsing the right store?

3. dlemmon macrumors regular

I know. cha-ching. they gotta make as much as possible while everyone is buying new accessories. I'd do it if I were running the place. of course I got the same case they were selling for 30$ for 9$ at another store. or how bout 30$ for a wall adapter, it's not like a wall adapter is some new technology or something. so they make it look fancy, and I gotta spend 2x?

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

The stuff is still at its normal price in the US store. That'd be some serious bull***** if it were true. $30 for a piece of plastic to hold your phone upright is already outrageous. And a $30 power dongle? How reasonable.

5. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Just checked going straight to Apple.com. You are apparently right. I have no idea how I got to the Canadian store. What was that aboot?

As you were!

6. Switz213 macrumors 6502

/fail :rolleyes:

It happens to the best of us. (well... :p)

7. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

8. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

110% agreed.

Can someone make a quality one at half price? I am skeptical about those cheap Chinese knockoffs.

9. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I just paid $35 for a dock at bestbuy, I really didn't need it, but it looks nice.

10. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

11. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Yup. can't complain for what it is.. (plastic phone holder/charger)

12. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

There's nothing wrong with it. I'm guessing ratings are low because...

1) It's ludicrously overpriced for what it does and is

2) It used to come in the box with the original iPhone. Apple made it an accessory on subsequent models due to out-of-control greed

3) Most people buy a case for their iPhone, and 95% of all cases have to be removed before you place the iPhone in the dock. Many probably didn't consider this before they bought the dock, and now they're annoyed. The dock isn't to blame, but will be the target of frustration anyway