what's up with apples software / firmware updates at the moment ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dave12345, Aug 10, 2009.

1. dave12345 macrumors regular

They have been consistently buggy and keep breaking things on my system. I've only had a mac for around 9 months - every update has broken something different:

10.5.6 : macbook pro wouldn't wake up from sleep - just had endless spinning colour wheel. Also couldn't access my bank online using Safari

smc 1.3 firmware update : my machine now idles 5 - 10 degrees hotter and the fans kick in much quicker - even when simply watching youtube or a very processor unintensive logic session. There is no way to roll back to previous firmware versions :mad:

10.5.7 : was pretty good - but may have added to the smc 1.3 heat build up.

Airport firmware 7.4.2 : my usb drive attached to my airport extreme disconnects when copying files larger than around 50 meg and is generally unstable - I am currently running 7.4.1 which works well.

10.5.8 : As a lot of people are experiencing this update has broken my networking - I am only getting 1 megabyte per second when on battery power and full speed only when plugged into mains power. ( FIXED BY PATCH )

Logic 9 double clicking on an arrangement launches Logic but not the project - you have to double click again once Logic has launched. Also when bouncing to a file various settings are not remembered (eg. realtime / offline bounce) You must set this up every time you want to bounce a project .

Have they got there good programmers working on Snow Leopard or is that going to be riddled with bugs too ? come on :apple: !

feel free to add to my list of what update broke stuff on your system ...

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I guess to an extent there shouldn't be that many problems but you'll never have a perfect build and it's not something that affects all users. I can state that with each OS update since 10.5.5, I haven't experienced any of the problems you listed. I'm pretty sure one day when I update, I'll run into a problem and will have to wait until Apple fixes it with the next update. Even with Snow Leopard around the corner, it's going to have bugs right out the gate and you'll see this forum flood with problems. Apple will fix those but those incremental updates will make new problems. Sure it's frustrating, but it's not realistic to expect a bug free OS.

3. jointsmoking macrumors regular

I haven't had an Apple Update "break" my system in more than 10 years. Sounds to be like a deeper issue on your end.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No issues at all with any of the OS or firmware updates.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I've never had an issue with an OS or firmware update. As far as your experience is concerned, you are using one of the failure-prone Nvidia MacBook Pro's. Unfortunately for you, the SMC update increased fan speed to try to prevent graphics card failure. I'm not sure I believe your claims about increased temperatures without any data to back it up. As for your issues with the software updates, I don't think your experiences necessarily reflect the larger pool of Apple users, and it's bad fortune that you've had such negative reactions from your system.

6. dave12345 thread starter macrumors regular

I think i will be getting myself a 13" MBP in a month or so once snow leopard comes out...i've had enough of the issue's i've been having with my current MBP - although i'm sure a new machine will bring new problems !