whats up with conan obrien?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macadmiral, Dec 16, 2008.

1. macadmiral macrumors member

I heard hes moving to LA or something? also, does anyone know if he's taping in NYC next week?

on a side note... does anyone under 60 actually watch Jay Leno?

2. esco macrumors 6502

esco

Yeah, I watch Jay. I find him a lot funnier than Letterman...man he's bad.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I watch Jay Leno and I'm 19. :D Not anywhere close to 60.

4. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I though the older crowd watches Letterman.

I'm 18 and I watch Jay Leno

5. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yes, I think Letterman's audience as a whole is older than Jay's.

My theory is they're the few people kicking around that can remember when Dave was actually funny.

6. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Weird, I don't think I've ever laughed at a single thing Jay Leno has ever said.

I do Letterman, then Conan.

For the OP - Conan is taking over the Tonight Show next year, and Leno was thought to be retiring. It seems NBC is giving him a show in the 9pm slot ahead of Conan, which is a total slap in the face to Mr. O'Brien.

He and Dave are the only funny things on late night, especially Conan.

7. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

On rare occasions that I'm up that late, I watch him. 48 here.

How is it a slap in his face, they work for the same company, different time slots, different crowds. Can't see it as anything but smart planning by NBC.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well it's kind of a slap in the face because Conan believed that by being offered the Tonight Show, the late night crown was being passed to him. Yes, Conan will still get the Tonight Show, but since NBC is adding a talk show that reaches a larger audience at an earlier timeslot, he's not really getting the top job as expected. In fact, the only thing that will change is that each show is shifted 1 hour earlier. Jay's show is expected to start at 10:30 PM, when more people are awake.

Me neither. He's the least funny comic I have ever seen, and I don't believe that to be an exaggeration.

And people don't consider Letterman funny either, but his style isn't really suited for American audiences anyway. I guess some people may believe that he's not suited for any audience, but whatever. :p

Conan is funnier than either of them, but he's just as annoyingly repetitive as they are, so I've grown tired of him as well.

9. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Because they are passing the reigns of The Tonight Show to Conan O'Brien. It seems like a huge crisis of confidence for NBC, as if they don't think he can keep people's interest. They apparently think they need Jay as a familiar buffer.

10. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Plus, Jay will probably get first pick at guests.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I think Craig Ferguson is the funniest, and the most intelligent.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yep, nail on the head with that one. Way too repetitive.

Yep, and the most natural to boot.

He is so self-effacing it takes a tough person not to like him.

13. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I watch Jay, and I'm only 14. I hate Conan. NBC just continues to make suicidal decisions every day.

Don

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I think it has been in the works for a few years that Conan was going to take over the Tonight show. I think it would have worked out better for The Tonight show to be switched to NYC. Conan is not a Cali kind of guy.

I would give all this more thought, but I decided the switch to DTV would be a good opportunity to stop watching the tele. So the TV is only hooked up to the DVD player and the Wii. There will be no television possible for me after Feb. :)

15. macadmiral thread starter macrumors member

agreed. I btw think Conan is the most hilarious, spontaneous comedian/host there is and thet Leno is a complete Yawn fest. Dave still occasionally comes up with something funny and I agree with his politics.

16. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I really can't stand Craig Ferguson, I don't think he's particularly funny. Seems like a nice guy, but I think I've laughed like once during his show.

I like both Jay and Conan, don't like Letterman at all, and Carson Daily is hardly ever funny, even at 2 in the morning. I can do Kimmel sometimes, some of the skits are laughable.

Jay at 10:30 should be interesting, but I think I'm less likely to watch him then; there are still other shows on satellite networks I enjoy at that time and I usually only caught him from 12-12:30, so looks like I'll be missing his show.

17. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Jay Leno is just awful...I can't believe he's getting to stay. He's simply not funny and I don't know what anyone sees in him.

18. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I'm in my twenties and I watch Jay Leno. Conan...only if nothing else is on.

Letterman, ugh. I had to take my parents to see Letterman when they came out to NY to visit. It was even less funny in person!

19. sared macrumors newbie