What's up with GMAIL? Or is it Safari?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tigerj81, Jun 17, 2008.

1. tigerj81 macrumors newbie

All,

I've spent countless hours trying to figure out a solution to this little problem I have with Gmail and OS X (or Safari). The problem is as follows: I sign in to Gmail/iGoogle on my brand new and awesome iMac, and it's all good from there. Now, I got to my PC laptop and attempt to sign in, and I'll get the message "Your username and password do not match , you've provided ..." I know for a fact that the password is correct. So, now I cannot login to gMail on my PC.

To go fix the problem (temporarily), I have to reset my password on the PC and then sign in, but when I do, I won't be able to sign in to gMail on my Mac. This is mind bogelling, a website should be system independent. I've tried different browsers (firefox and IE), I've also tried clearing cache and deleting cookies, no go. I've called Apple support, they have not idea. I'm helpless at this point. I've tried everything. Help!

Sincerely,

A fellow man, who has to use a PC at work (show me sympathy)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I hate to mention something so basic, but is your Caps Lock key on?

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    :D That was the problem when it happened to me on my MB:eek:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It happens to the best of us! When it happens to me, I just chalk it up to senility! :D

5. tigerj81 thread starter macrumors newbie

CAPS LOCK! cOME ON!

NO MY CAPS LOCK ISN'T ON. I MEAN COME ON! DON'T YOU THINK I WOULD HAVE NOTICED. No but seriously, the problem persists, it's not just gmail, also other websites, like this one "MacRumors", Mint.com, and Regions.com. Not sure what these have in common. Any suggestions...OTHER THAN CAPS LOCK!

6. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

You'd be surprised how many times it is something basic. Are you logging out of your session when you leave the website on your mac and go to your PC, or vice versa?

7. tigerj81 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's not the answer, but thanks!

I have tried that. Signing out on the PC before signing in on the Mac, and vice versa does not solve the problem. What's weird is that if I go from a PC to PC without ending the session it works. In other words, I can be signed in to the same website on two different PCs. Thanks for trying! Other takers?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since you display such a negative attitude when people are just trying to help, you can figure it out on your own! I don't like getting yelled at just because I tried to offer some help! If you don't like the help offered, don't ask the question!

9. tigerj81 thread starter macrumors newbie

who's yelling?

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I was yelling. I'm confused.:confused:. The caps thing? That's a joke that went way over your head. Read it again, but don't read too much into it. Someone's got issues. Back to the real issue though, does anyone has any clue as to why signing in to some websites on a Mac will cause you to not be able to sign in to the same websites on a PC? A serous predicament! All answers are welcome, I won't yell, I promise.

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think some one in here doesn't understand sarcasm. Anyways, I have no clue what would make it do that. I use a PC at work and also bring my MBP and I can go back and forth between each one and have no problems. Just for fun, try creating a new gmail account and see if it still happens with the new one.

11. tigerj81 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, it is the CAPS lock after all!

So, it turns out that having the CAPS on a mac results in different output than that on a PC. In other work, when I first set the password on a PC, I had the CAPS on (on purpose), and I turn it on every time I sign in. So for example, if my password is tHISiSmYpASSWORD I turn on the CAPS lock and type ThisIsMyPassword. I've always set me passwords that way, I had no idea that when doing so, the MAC and PC worlds would collide. PROBLEM SOLVED (yelling in joy this time).

So what do you know, it turns out to be the CAPS lock after all! In a different way though. Does anyone have any input to why that may be the case? Why would a PC interpret a password that's set by a Mac with CAPS lock on differently, and vice versa? I may have ventured on an undiscovered compatibility issue.

Thanks everyone.

12. JoeKozy macrumors member

If you normally have CAPS on and hold shift to type the lowercase characters then there is your problem, if you try putting CAPS on on the Mac and hold shift to make it lowercase it doesn't work, it's something that confused me at first too. Basically, once CAPS is on on the Mac all you type will be capitals regardless of holding shift or not