What's up with IE not being supported by me.com?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trek1500, Jul 16, 2008.

1. trek1500 macrumors member

trek1500

I'm a new Mac user and decided to subscribe to mobileme which works great so far! The only thing is when I go to check me.com on IE it pops up with a message saying that IE is an unsupported browser and they recommend Safari & Firefox. The only thing is sometimes I would like to check me.com while I'm at work and they only use IE. Is there a way around this without having to download Safari or Firefox?

2. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

IE7 seems to work... at least it did for me though it gave a compatibility warning. My wife uses IE 6 at work (she can't update it without going through IT) and it won't work at all.

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I have Firefox 2 (Windows version) installed on a USB flash drive. Maybe you should do the same?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've used it with IE at work. Mail and calendars worked fine. Gallery crashed my system.

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Kind of a long answer to this one…

Go over over to the website design and development forum and ask professionals there who work on this. Most of them will tell you IE is a necessary evil.

While many people say IE sucks, the truth is that IE 7 has done a lot improved standards support a great deal over version 6. The truth is also that it still lags far behind Opera, Safari and Firefox.

Most developers still have to write hacks and perform tricks to get pages to work properly in all browsers and platforms. Until now there are two common approaches:

[Approach 1] Write a page which works in IE and forgot about everyone else. This was a very popular choice at one stage (especially when IE had 90+% market share). To some extent it still is, but as other browsers gain market share it is becoming less and less compelling. This is the reason why so many sites break in browsers other than IE. IE is more forgiving of poorly coded sites, which furthers complicates the issue.

[Approach 2] Write pages for standards keep you fingers cross it works in IE. If not write conditional comments and extra code until it works in IE 7. Then tackle IE 6…

Apple is using their considerable influence to try and pave the way for another route.
    [Approach 3] Write pages for standards, forget about IE.

The two intended outcomes are:
    [A] For IE 8 to become a first class browser for CSS and Javascript support. This would be preferable as choice is great for everyone.
    Firefox, Safari, Opera and other browsers (which already provide first class standards support) to gain market share. Enterprises will then begin to provide these browsers as an option.

Unfortunately until that happens there will be some pain for users like yourself caught up in a bigger strategic “game” Apple is playing. Whilst this might not be any consolation now it is for the greater good. With open standards everyone is on a level playing field.

You may be wondering why open standards on the web is so important to Apple? It is a good question, the answer is a simple economic one. Apple is not committed to open standards on the web for any other reason that it allows them to sell hardware which does not require proprietary 3rd party software, whether that be Adobe Flash, Adobe Air or Microsoft Silverlight.

Hypothetically speaking — imagine a scenario where Adobe decide to halt development of a Flash client for the Macintosh. Then Mac computers would only work with “some of the Internet”. Result: Apple sells less hardware.

As a concrete example of this in action: Apple notebooks get very hot and noisy (fan noise) when users spend any time on the YouTube video sharing site. Apple is in a position where they are absolutely powerless to do anything about this because Adobe control the Flash plugin.

Adobe have thus far proved themselves to be poor at delivering a high quality plugin for the Macintosh. This is a situation which Apple is far from happy about, putting it mildly.

Apple is however able to provide a very compelling YouTube experience on iPhone/iPod touch without the heat, noise and inefficiency of the experience on the Macintosh. That's because they have circumnavigated Flash video and have negotiated with Google to serve the content up in the ISO standard H.264 format.

EDIT: The way I've written this is from the perspective of Apple getting their way and forcing their agenda of open standards which allows them to sell lots of computers and gadgets.

Of course they could fail and Flash/Silverlight and the like could become essentials for web browsing. Who knows? We will see.

7. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Too true. I've just designed a site from scratch, and have been checking it in Safari, FF and Opera on my Mac (it worked and looked exactly the same on all 3 browsers). I booted into Windows only to find IE6 & IE7 completely mess up the whole site.
    IE is a mess, and quite frankly - anything anyone can do to get people to switch away from it then great. Go for it Apple! :p

I'd also recommend downloading FF portable from http://portableapps.com and putting it on a USB stick so you can run FF from any PC anywhere.

8. ihabime macrumors 6502

Or it could be that Sproutcore, the Open Source framework that Apple recently adopted to redo .Mac, doesn't work very well with IE and Apple hasn't had a chance to work on that yet.

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

And if IE had better javascript support Sproutcore apps would work without any (or at least very little) extra work, if that makes sense!

I don't think in the long term Apple cares too much how web apps are delivered, provided access on all their computers and other gadgets is a first class experience. This is harder to ensure with proprietary standards.