What's up with MS Office 2008?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Adokimus, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I was debating buying Microsoft Office 2008 for mac, but whenever I go into the Apple store and try it out on any of the display laptops it takes such a long time just to open up a blank word document. This is even on the newest 2.5 GHz penryn MBP. Is this normal?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Project Gallery and WYSIWYG features take a long time to load.

Compare it to Adobe applications.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, it's normal. Office 2008 is a brilliant example of bloatware.

4. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Just bought a new MBP

Just finished ordering a new 15" MBP for my wife along with a copy of Leopard to install on my MacPro.... and I noticed that the invoice says 10.5.1.... Its been a week and the shipped CD's are not 10.5.2 yet??? I'm going to have to load it from the CD and THEN update it too.... aint that a bummer.

Has anyone else bought a retail CD in the past week or so?

EDIT:
    What the heck? I started this as a new thread... and ended up here?

Well I see .... Ask a question and get you A** jumped on......

5. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

What the heck indeed...

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Do you expect Apple to send for printing new versions of OS every time they update it? Seems like a waste of money and not worth the hassle. How hard is it to just download the update :confused:

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Apparently it's a lot easier for him to come here and complain than it is for him to go to Software Update and hit "Install Updates".

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My Mac is a few years old and I am deeply regretting buying and upgrading to Office 2008 last week. Excel takes twice as long to launch, is incredibly sluggish (when I use down-arrow it can't keep up scrolling the cells), and has the same merged-cell design flaw that I was hoping they'd fixed. I've found no new features to make me glad to have it. They should have paid me to make this upgrade.

Did I mention it crashed, on the very first day, while I was working on a spreadsheet I've been updating for years without incident?

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yep, MS Office is dog slow, even on Intel Macs. I think OfficeX ran faster under Rosetta emulation than this POS Universal Binary version, which really should be running at native speeds.

The only good thing about the new Office is that your files are now compatible with .docx files now, and in the future. This is somewhat important to me. On the other hand, nobody uses that file format, so I guess I could have upgraded to Office 2008 next year, or when I needed to.

10. erummel macrumors member

erummel

Office 2008 is noticeably faster and more stable on my MBP. Whilst it is a standard piece of MS bloatware, there is no way to deny that it is needed. iWork and the free open source stuff just doesn't measure up. They are less than adequate for most professionals where ease of use and formatting do matter.

This version of Office is rather a nice update. It's the best £75 software purchase for your new (or old) mac.

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

After having frustration with sharing iWork and Office files I decided to purchase Office Mac for my personal MB. I wanted to get Office 04 but from all sources it cost the same if not more than Office 08. I ended up getting Office 08 for $129 and it is slower than Office 04. This shouldn't surprise me, I hated Vista because it was over bloated and slower than XP.

12. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I agree with a couple of post here. I have both 2008 and 2004 office for Mac and I prefer the look and feel of 2004, it does indeed seem faster than 08 also.
    I just might remove 08 version as I use outlook in an xp window using vmware, the office for mac was a neat backup for me so i didnt have to load up vmware everytime.

The fact that office 08 for mac isnt as similar to even office 2007 on the pc for simple things like mail forwarding and replying (the mac version doesnt indicate that you forwarded or replied to mails when you sync up if you forwarded using the pc version) makes it a big downer for me.

13. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Aside from the fact that Office 2008 is indeed terribly slow compared to iWorks '08, it bothers me more that the toolbars of Word and Powerpoint cover about 50% of the screen...

What I like about Office 2008 is that the guidelines in Powerpoint work better than those in Keynote...