whats up with my fonts?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scarlet Fever, May 19, 2007.

1. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i got on my MacBook just 10 mins ago, and the fonts in Safari have been changed. A pic of the new font is attached. What's happened?

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What's listed in the Appearance pane of Safari's Preferences? Is this the only app with problems? Any theme changers? Any recent changes to the system fonts or to Font Book? :)

3. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Its only in Safari, no theme changers, its a fresh install of OS X so I haven't had a chance to mess around with fonts. It was working normally earlier today, so I don't know whats going on...

Attached is the pic of the Appearance pane. The new font doesn't appear to be Times or Courier, so i don't think its anything there.

Thanks for the help :)

Attached Files:

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Check in, say, TextEdit to see what happens when you set some text to use Verdana (that's the missing font in your forum spy screen shot). What does that do? Also, does Verdana show up in Font Book?

5. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

F***. Verdana isn't in Font Book. It says it's there in TextEdit, but when i type something with it selected, nothing changes.

i think in the install, i chose not to install additional fonts, because i thought they were just the Chinese etc. fonts. i'm starting to think there were a lot of fonts which i didn't install.

alrighty then, what do I do from here? According to Font Book, these are all the fonts i have;

Attached Files:

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, you're missing most of the core web fonts.

Before you get too far, look in your start volume's /Library/Fonts and make sure they are really missing (for reference these are the ones). If you see the files there, a quick fix will be to delete your font caches and reboot (for Tiger, trash everything under /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS and reboot).

If the font files are really missing, put your OS X install disc in the drive without restarting, dig around and find System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg, run it, select the fonts if you're given any options, and let it do its thing.

7. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Verdana Has Returned!

They were in the Library folders, so i deleted the font cache folder, rebooted, and everything is back. Many thanks, iMeowbot and MJ :)

it takes an event like this for one to really appreciate Verdana...