Whats up with my MBP temp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silbeej, Nov 8, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So today my MBP started running really hot for no reason at all. Fans are at 2.5K under idle, and they would never spin up unless i was running something around 20% CPU. Also, they would never go really fast until the CPU as at 70 degrees or more, now they are at 6K with 60 degrees. What is up with my fans? The system never ran like this before.

2. Apple addict macrumors member

Don't know

I would be interested to find out as well.
    So far I have not experienced this issue on my MBP 2.4.

Gary

3. MBPDiva macrumors regular

There are 1001 threads about overheating issues with MBPs. The Search function is at the top, right of this page. :)

4. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well it's not overheating, just running hot for no reason, then the fans are running fast when it's not burning hot.

5. MBPDiva macrumors regular

If the fans are running fast (or ramping up) then your laptop is overheating. If it stays at that temp, your laptop will be damaged. That's why the fans continue to run fast when it's not burning hot because it's still hot inside the case. Have you taken a look at your core temp? Also, do a search on the forums for SMC fan control.

I had this problem with my new classic MBP. I solved the prob by buying a compact cooling pad which I use only when I place my MBP on surfaces that don't conduct heat very well, like my lap. :)

I notice that when I place my MBP on my glass desk in my office, it doesn't run hot or overheat.

6. kolax macrumors G3

Load up Activity Monitor and check All Processes.

Report back with what is using so much CPU.