What's up with my screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zach808, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Zach808 macrumors newbie

Since yesterday, my screen has been acting really wierd. Every few hours, the screen goes all fuzzy with a bunch of white lines on it, and it becomes completely unusable. It only happens for a few seconds each time (fortunately, it's fine right now), but it's kinda got me worried because I need to keep this computer for 2 more years before getting a new one, and I can't afford to fix it. I can't stop using it because I need it for school, so if it breaks, I'm completely screwed.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What exact MacBook do you have?

Look for the Model Identifier and post it here.

[​IMG]

Do you still have warranty or Apple Care or an equivalent third-party warranty?

3. Zach808 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Aluminum late 2008 model.

My warranty ran out a few months ago, and I don't have AppleCare, so if my computer breaks, I'm pretty much screwed.

4. borisiii macrumors 6502

It sounds like a problem with the display cable. If you are lucky it will have worked itself loose and just need reseating, if it is damaged or frayed you will need a new display assembly. If it ever makes a click/pop/crack sound when you adjust the screen angle, most likely your problem is the latter.

I have the same MacBook (MacBook 5,1) as you, which developed a display cable problem causing my iSight to stop working. Apple replaced the logic board and the display assembly (the whole top portion of the laptop, including the back). Although I didn't have to pay because it was under the original 12-month warranty, I saw from the receipts that the total repair cost would have been £680 (approx $1000) out of warranty. I hope that isn't the case for you. If it comes to the worst and you can't afford a repair, your computer will still work fine when connected to an external display.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

In years I have seen one case of it being the display cable.

It's likely the LCD.

Find a B133EW07, some places have them for $63. Put a dollar away every day for two months and you will be back in business.