What's up with my screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, Oct 5, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Does it happen to anyone else that when viewing an all-black screen (initial quicktime window, for example) that some lighter patches appear?
    (It ussually happens around where I suspect the LEDs are, but it's most noticeable around the middle, maybe a little to the left..). Also, does it happen to anyone else that when going to an all-black window, really bright colors (I think mostly, if not only white...) leave sort of a "shadow of themselves unless they're being replaced by another color besides black?

When I turn it on or take it out of sleep mode it can always maintain a nice, pure black, but after using it for a while (especially after using Safari for a few minutes) I notice that the sort of blueish discolored area comes back. I'm guessing that Liquid crystal pixels don't like going from light colors to dark colors... Is this normal?

2. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I was just about to post a thread on this. The same thing happens to me. It's really annoying. I can't get screenshots to show you because it will show up fine for anyone who views them but on my computer :( I really hope it's not normal, it's pretty bad on my computer. :(

3. Marcquito macrumors member

Marcquito

4. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

^ I don't have a camera atm, but I'll borrow one tomorrow and take a few pics.

5. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Here:
    [​IMG]
    And it's not just that youtube vid. It happens anywhere there's black.

6. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

That's actually kinda different from what I'm experiencing.... But worrying nonetheless. =(

7. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

8. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

9. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

try repairing the permissions. If that doesn't work, take it to an Apple Store and see if they can do anything. Perhaps someone else may have a better suggestion.

10. Habusho macrumors 6502

Looks like a faulty screen to me. I'd take it to the Genius bar and have them replace it while still in the warranty.

11. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Probably a screen problem and not a graphics card one since you can't screengrab the issue.

I'm guessing you are running 10.5.5?

12. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yes, I am. I'll take it to the Genius Bar and tell you guys how it goes.

13. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i'm usually one to suggest permissions repair, but seriously...

this has nothing to do with permissions.

try hooking it up to an external monitor and see if you can replicate it.

if you show that to a genius you could probably get a replacement LCD, cable, or logic board (or all) depending what the actual problem is.

14. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Here's some, albeit bad, pics of my phenomenon:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I can only really see it when I have an ALL black screen. And it starts off by just like ghosting the light parts of whatever I'm looking at (like the light parts of a background, or the white parts of the finder and this website), but after a while I'll bring up the black background and there'll be a big bluish spot in the middle. (The ghosting happens all over on particularly light BGs, but the bluish spot only happens in the middle).
    I think it goes away if I leave it on the black thing for a while but...

Also, for some reason, it's not as noticeable when viewing black and white IMAGES, but when I look at the whole screen in black it's very noticeable. Also, when I'm scrolling around a black and white image, the white will leave a sort of light (maybe bluish?) trail behind it into the black. That eventually fades but... I just thought I'd bring it up.

OH! And I should probably add that it's only noticeable when it's on the brightest settings on battery, or towards the middle while it's plugged in. (And since I almost always keep it around the middle (sometimes a little brighter), and I'd be working while it's plugged in, you can see why it would be an annoyance.)

Sorry if the pics aren't that great, but I don't have a camera so...

Also, I live in Mexico, so I can't easily go to apple and ask a Genius's opinion. =(
    If it really needed repairs I COULD send it in... But I REALLY REALLY need it. (However, it's screen is one of the biggest things I need... so....)

EDIT: Also! I should add that when it's not just a pure black screen, my screen usually looks fine. Perfect, even...

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The former could be a loose display cable, overheating GPU creating artifacts...

The second post looks like it's just screen bleed.

16. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Is screen bleed normal? =(

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes.