whats up with my trackpad?

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
The trackpad was fine for most of yesterday then randomly it stopped doing the single click highlight text thing and it hasn't worked since then.......

any ideas?

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
yes

i trade all the usual fixes pram smc and restarting, am i missing anything?

this timing blows i have finals then leave to camp for my job in four days.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I think the trackpads must be highly prone to failure or have a design flaw. The trackpad on my MacBook failed and would not click anymore, so Apple replaced it. Within a few months it stopped clicking again, so I took it to Apple and they adjusted the screw underneath it. Then a couple of months later it stopped working again. Argh! I've read many other accounts of failing trackpads too.

You have two work arounds: enable "tap to click" in the settings or use an external mouse.

smithrh

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2009
You don't mention which model you have, but there may be an issue with battery swelling.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I think the trackpads must be highly prone to failure or have a design flaw. The trackpad on my MacBook failed and would not click anymore, so Apple replaced it. Within a few months it stopped clicking again, so I took it to Apple and they adjusted the screw underneath it. Then a couple of months later it stopped working again. Argh! I've read many other accounts of failing trackpads too.
Many accounts doesn't mean anything. It's the ratio of those accounts to the overall number of machines out there that matters. Perception is easily skewed especially on discussion forum sites.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Many accounts doesn't mean anything. It's the ratio of those accounts to the overall number of machines out there that matters. Perception is easily skewed especially on discussion forum sites.

OK, the first and second trackpads installed on my computer had a 100% failure rate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.