What's up with new pricing on Quad-core CPU options vs. the 8-core???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fundido, Dec 7, 2009.

1. fundido macrumors newbie

Is there something so hella-fantastic about the 8-core that the prices to upgrade a CPU are so much more, relative to the quad-core? Look at these screen shots: on a quad-core, if I wanted to upgrade to 2.93GHz the cost is an additional $400, but on the 8-core it's $2600 (2 x $1300).

You know, I keep hearing how the Mac Pro is for "pros, so the cost doesn't matter so much" -- that is simply not true (and mildly offensive). Just because I happen to need more "power" to do my work doesn't mean that I have money leaking out of my pores.... au contraire mes amis!

Can someone tell me if there's a logical reason why there's a $900/CPU difference in upgrading an 8-core vs. a quad-core Mac Pro?

Attached Files:

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Intel charge a lot more for processors capable of functioning in a dual socket systems, basically because the majority of their customers will pay it (the enterprise server market).

2.66GHz quad - $300 in processor
    2.93GHz quad - $600 in processor

2.26GHz octo - $800 in processors
    2.66GHz octo - $1800 in processors
    2.93GHz octo - $2800 in processors

3. snouter macrumors 6502a

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Unfortunately. They charge rather handsomely for that second QPI channel (and in some cases, reduced TDP for the same clock as the i7-9xx).

The D versions of the chipsets (5520 series) are going to be a bit more expensive too.

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

It's the same reason Business Class costs as much 2-3 times as much on a long-haul flight. Greed and a small segment willing to pay. :p

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

The DP system market is definitely smaller than the SP market, which can include both consumer and this time around, the SP Xeon's as well (as it's just the addition of ECC to the i7-9xx part line).