whats up with other browsers?

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
My main browser that I use is Firefox. I use Opera once in awhile and I've tried safari and camino, but they fail to satisfy my browser needs.

For firefox, it allows me to "force" open in tabs and allow me to switch in between my pressing commandkey + ` or commandkey + (the number). How come camino or safari cannot do those??

It really bothers me. If they actually do, can someone tell me hwo to set it up? or any other easy way to manipulate tabs in safari or camino?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
To switch between tabs in Safari you use cmd+{ and cmd+} to go left and right, respectively.

I don't think you can 'force open' in tabs, but cmd+clicking works.

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
gauchogolfer said:
To switch between tabs in Safari you use cmd+{ and cmd+} to go left and right, respectively.
what do you mean cmd+[ and cmd+]???

-----edit-----

ohh nvm, you mean to go back or forward on the webpage.

I meant having more than one tabs open and be able to switch to another tab using a keyboard shortcut.

Fisheke

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Antwerp, Belgium
kimcheeboi65 said:
For firefox, it allows me to "force" open in tabs
The saft plugin (http://haoli.dnsalias.com/Saft/index.html) allows (among other things) to catch all "new windows and put them in tabs. It's just a pain in teh ass that it's no freeware :(.

The only reason i use Safari (apart from it's great support for web standards) is the fact that it knows how to use the "zoom" button.. Firefox just goes fullscreen and that's a serious waste of space on a 24".

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
kimcheeboi65 said:
what do you mean cmd+[ and cmd+]???

-----edit-----

ohh nvm, you mean to go back or forward on the webpage.

I meant having more than one tabs open and be able to switch to another tab using a keyboard shortcut.
Nope, what I meant was to go left and right between tabs.
So, push command+{ (which is the same as command+shift+[ ) to go left and cmd+} to go right. Works fine.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
AmbitiousLemon said:
in camino you switch between tabs by using: command-option right arrow, or left arrow
This works in Safari too.

Edit: Oops, it's command+shift+arrow to switch between tabs in Safari.

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
AmbitiousLemon said:
in camino you switch between tabs by using: command-option right arrow, or left arrow

the last option in the tabs section of the preferences allows you to force new windows to open in tabs.

what version of camino are you using? I don't have the last option of "force" opening in tabs.

I'm using 1.0.2

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
kimcheeboi65 said:
what version of camino are you using? I don't have the last option of "force" opening in tabs.

I'm using 1.0.2
I'm using one of the recently nightly builds. Switched from the stable version when they added spell checking I believe.

http://www.caminobrowser.org/download/releases/nightly/

The only bug that remains in Camino that I find better handled in other browsers (safari) is keychain support. Safari seems to handle multiple logins for single domains better than Camino. Other than that I find Camino has them all beat.