What's up with the delay in a mywi update?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by joserpaq, May 12, 2011.

1. joserpaq macrumors member

I've been using mywi since it came out and really liked the on demand feature with the iPad but I stopped using it after I got the text from big brother. I'm using the new PDAnet but it's not even close to as easy to use. I hope mywi is working on an update and it would be nice if they would comment if they are. I know the new pdanet only support adhoc like the older tethering apps so there might be something in the new the new iOS firmware that permits tethering that is being used by AT&T. That would make it more difficult for apps like mywi to take advantage of the infrastructure that apple includes.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Curious on this also as I'm in the same boat. I don't plan on purchasing PDAnet if I can avoid it however. Please let us know if you hear back from the dev.

4. joserpaq thread starter macrumors member

No response

I have emailed the developer but haven't heard back.

Waiting on answer.

5. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Hope you hear back soon. I used MyWi since it first came out, but I'm fully migrated to TetherMe now. Love to keep with the native functionality and no "bugs" that MyWi brings along every once in a while. Having said that, to be fair to MyWi it was very stable when I stopped using it about 3 months ago.

6. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same here. Asked when the app will have a working stealth mode. No answer yet.

7. joserpaq thread starter macrumors member

I'm not using tetherme because I suspect that it won't hide use either s d would expose use just like mywi.

8. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Based on the last few tweets on the dev's twitter account it almost sounds as if they aren't working on it. For example:

Someone tweeted "at" the devs and asked, "Is MiWi going to have a feature to obscure tethering to providers like pdanet has now added to it's product? If so when?"

The Dev's reply was, "et al AT&T's tethering messages have nothing to do with tethering based on many user experiences."

They also linked to this discussion on ModMyi's forums which seems to suggest that AT&T is only targeting users on the unlimited plan who have been streaming content (via Netflix & Pandora in particular) and that actual tethering may not be the culprit (or may not be exclusively the reason).

That was a week ago.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes but people with PDAnet so called "stealth" mode still got tethering messages from AT&T.
    To be honest I dont think they know exactly how they are detecting it. If it was a simple APN change or something like Pdanet did claiming you wont get caught I believe MyWi would have also been updated.