What's up with the viruses infecting facebook?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Greencardman, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Greencardman macrumors 6502

I've had three friends in the last three days having their facebook accounts send out major amounts of messages with links to viruses. I don't know if its their facebook accounts that have been hacked or their computers, but still. Its getting bad. Anyone else seeing a lot of this?

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I got a bogus message claiming to be from facebook telling me to install an app and send it to my friends. Of course i didn't do it. But I'm sure some younger and/or inexperienced users would fall for it

3. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Anything that becomes more mainstream and widely used is prone to viruses. I'm thinking that this is more phishing than viruses though. I left myspace because of the endless amount of spam and stuff that I used to get, that and myspace was awful!

I suppose they're developer platform is really open too.

4. Greencardman thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I worry about that too. I mean, the messages are pretty crafty, but the lack of personalization is pretty easy to spot. Its very annoying though.

5. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I hate to hear that this is happening. I haven't seen it just yet though.

6. Karasu macrumors newbie

I've had a few instances where messages from my cousin's account contained links to viruses. They were disguised as videos. I'm glad I don't fall for those things but I'm sure a few unsuspecting people did.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i've been sent a few of those links. pretty sad