What's up with this shipping? :P

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danyo, Dec 27, 2011.

1. danyo macrumors newbie

I ordered off the Apple.ca website.
    I'm located in Toronto, Ontario (CANADA), and the item shipped out from Middletown, Pennsylvania (US), which is actually fairly close. :p

Here is the Google Maps of our physical distance:
    http://g.co/maps/m7unw

But I'm following along the Fedex shipment travel activity and it's taking a route that makes little sense to me, haha.

Here is the Google Maps of the Fedex route:
    http://g.co/maps/g5vsv

I understand that it's probably shipped by air, but I still think that's a very unnecessary and silly route to take, don't you think? Wish they had better routes... maybe my order would be here already. :p

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

As nice as it would be for it to be delivered directly to you door, it will get tossed around between depots as it gets sorted.

3. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I am in WV and it isn't unusual for a package to come from Pennsylvania and move to Louisville before coming back up to me. It generally only takes 2 hops though. I just ordered one that shipped from the same exact spot and got to me within a day.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

5. danyo thread starter macrumors newbie

You're making me sad. I'm refreshing my Fedex shipment tracker repeatedly. :(

6. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

FedEX routes packages via a hub and spoke model for overall efficiency of their system; and probably load balances as well (i.e. if they have space on planes doing two hops they'll use that rather than add a plane if they've already filled up one).

As a result, individual packages may follow a very odd route.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, the routes are different, depending on the delivery method.

Did you pick "Next Day Shipping", or did you go with the free shipping?

8. o.neill.kid macrumors member

Most likely because of customs, and they may have a distribution center there. I know when I have ordered things from even Ottawa (an hour away from me) they will take it to Calgary, odd and for whatever reason. Just think, in a few days you will have your new product.

*When I ordered my juice pack reserve it took the exact same route as your product is taking.

9. danyo thread starter macrumors newbie

I went with expedited shipping which is quoted as 1-3 days, but they've missed their mark. It's already been 3 full business days since it shipped and over a week since I ordered (not counting Saturday, Christmas, or Boxing day as business days).

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Give Apple a call (or online chat) and have them refund the fee you paid for the expedited shipping.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^This. They're not going to make a special delivery to run the package from the point of origin to the OP.

That said, the shipping companies do make mistakes in routing and I've had at least one package leave the US for no good reason for a domestic shipment.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Interesting that it goes to Calgary (presumably to clear customs) just to enter the US again to go to Toronto. I would have expected FedEx to have a relatively large center in the Toronto metro area to clear US packages heading into Ontario, Québec, etc. Perhaps there was a shipping error; it does happen occasionally.

13. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

actually i don't know if it is going to be entering the US again. We don't know the details, and a google's map just shows the shortest way possible. I'm assuming it will stay in Canada after Calgary.

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Oh you're right, I thought there was a waypoint in Chicago, but it just gave the shortest driving distance.

15. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I love when you pay for next day air just to realize they ship the item less than 3 hours from your house and you could have gotten free ground for the same result. I think that is worse than waiting a few more days as frustrating as that may be.

16. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

17. saberahul macrumors 68040

Shipments through major carriers are "optimized" to reduce their costs while serving majority of the customers to meet their deadlines. In fact, these deadlines are created due to this optimization. With that said, your package is probably placed with packages within a certain vicinity of your location. The shipment has to clear the packages which have the sooner deadline; hence, yours will travel with those until those are delivered. Yes, in locations where package delivery is abnormally high - specific trucks are sent out to clear just those locations; however, this may not be the case in your situation.