What's up with Verixon data plan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Night Spring, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Night Spring, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So on Apple's iPad order page, Verizon data plan was listed as:
    1GB for $20
    2GB for $30
    5GB for $50

So I ordered a Verizon model thinking that the $20 plan is perfect for me. But this morning, on a whim, I checked Verizon's webpage, and this is what I found:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/splash_includes/newiPadDataPlansOverlay.html

Basically, there's no $20 plan, and instead there is an option for 10GB for $80.

Really, what's the story here??? I don't want to pay $30 a month for iPad data, if that's the case, I'd have ordered AT&T and gotten their $15 plan, even though the amount of data you get is so small. Though come to think of it, who knows what kind of switcheroo AT&T might pull off, also?

I hate cell phone carriers. *sigh*

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It is WHY I ordered the AT&T model.

3. dread macrumors 6502a

I am worried about this as well. I called apple and they said that there is a $20 verizon plan and I changed my order to verizon from AT&T. Now I am worried there is no such plan.

4. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

In another thread a poster said he was told that the $20 plan was only for existing customers.

5. kallyq macrumors regular

I just looked this up on Verizon's page as well and noticed there is no $20 option! I hope this isn't true since this is why I switched :(

6. falcora macrumors 6502

verizon had a spokesperson say that they were coming out with the $20 plan, and it should be available by launch. I think i read that on tuaw, but i can't be certain.

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Verzion is going to have the 20$ plan, it's just not showing up on Verizon's website at the moment.

8. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

9. kallyq macrumors regular

10. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

My understanding is that you can have Verizon service in two ways: Prepaid or postpaid.

With postpaid, you receive a bill at the end of the month. You can also add it to an existing account. This option has overages and the like.

With prepaid, you use your credit card on the iPad itself to buy a set amount of data, that expires after 30 days.

You can only use prepaid plans with unsubsidized tablets (like the iPad). However, postpaid plans can also be used with the iPad. The thing is, the $20/1GB plan is only offered to prepaid customers.

The Apple website shows the prepaid plans (which are identical to the postpaid plans, excepting the addition of the $20/1GB plan). On the other hand, the Verizon iPad page shows the postpaid plans (after all, they'd rather have users on the $30 plan with the ability to collect overages).

You can find the prepaid tablet data plans here:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plans/?page=prepaid

Note that the iPad 2 is one of the prepaid tablets after you click "Shop Prepaid."

11. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

There is a $20 data plan it's just not going to be up at launch. Not to mention you have a awesome return policy if you want to switch.

12. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

True enough, except that I'm afraid there won't be any AT&T models avaiable in-store to switch to, and there would be a wait for the AT&T models to be delivered. Well, the info given in this thread makes me feel somewhat reassured that the $20 option will be available -- thanks to everyone who posted! If not, oh well, I'll cross that bridge if it comes to that.

13. TB07-NJ, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

There are a lot of errors on Apple's site regarding the Verizon and AT&T plans. Yes, according to The Verge there still is a $20 Verizon plan. Here is supposedly verified listing:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/8/2854902/new-ipad-lte-data-plans-verizon-att-hotspot

and here it is direct from VZW: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plans/?page=prepaid

14. walie macrumors 6502a

Holy crap those plans are expensive...here in Canada we have 500mb for $20 that flexes to 5gb for $35, tethering included