What's up with white?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdsuslacker, Mar 3, 2011.

1. sdsuslacker macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I totally understand wanting different color for apple devices , but why is the white version of all the idevices always late or non-existent at launch time? Isn't just a different dye color? How hard is it make white plastic/aluminum?

I don't get it. Can anyone explain why white seems to be so difficult to manufacture? Is this just an apple ploy to increase the hype?

2. Reefbone macrumors regular

Black was the new white but I hear white will be back in vogue soon (iPad 2 and iP5)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you speak for everyone and to be honest its kind of embarrassing for apple to be unable to create a white phone

Your link is dead. Not sure what you were trying to communicate given that you only have one word on your post.

4. dacapo macrumors 6502

I've tried to look at as many iPad2 images as possible but couldn't tell whether the white iPad 2 will have an aluminum (gray-colored) back or a white back. I'd guess it'll have the aluminum back, but I couldn't locate any images/video clips showing a 360-view of the white iPad.

Any links or descriptions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: nvm.. I had done a search on iPad2 and didn't know this was actually posted in the iPhone forums. (quickly dodges critical remarks...)

5. Awjvail macrumors 6502

The white is difficult to manufacture because white glass tends to end up translucent, which causes issues with the camera and flash.

There is an exact formula that they have to get perfect in order for it to be opaque. You may say "just put on more coats of paint!" If it were that simple, they'd have done it by now. Only so many coats of paint can go on before it gets to the point where the glass becomes too thick to fit together properly with the rest of the phone.

Apple knows that if they released the white iPhone 4, and there were MORE quality issues, people would bitch and moan.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Apple knows they messed up with the white 4. Steve was very tongue-in-cheek about it yesterday when he announced the white iPad 2 for day 1 launch.

7. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

I was wondering the same thing, I can't find a picture that conclusively shows the back colour. Some photographs look as though it is white, while others look aluminium. I'd love an all-white iPad, but I don't like the idea of a white front with an aluminium backing.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

As far as I can remember, only the iPhone 4 has had such problems with the white color. It is too early to make such broad accusations.

I believe that they all will have aluminum backs and only the bezel will offer the color choice of white or black.

9. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

I think you're right ucfgrad93, looking at Engadget's hands-on pictures shows an aluminium backing.

Engadget's Hands-On