Whats up with Youtube CPU usage??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by silbeej, Dec 26, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So this isn't a repair issue, so i guess it goes in the community section. Anyone notice that when watching youtube and similar streaming video on websites like Hulu and whatnot, that the Mac seems to be running between 30 and 40, or even 50% CPU usage!!! On my pc it is around 10 or maybe 15% MAX. Just was a little interested in if there was a reasoning behind it.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Flash performance is miserable on OS X. Do you have the latest version installed?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ Flash 10 is a little better than previous ones, but Flash in general is just horrible for video. Of course, the upside is the universal compatibility. But the downside is that Flash takes a computer from 2008 and makes it have more trouble showing a video at 2002 quality than the 2002 computer did (when the video would have been streamed with QuickTime or WMP or Real). Even in Windows, Flash takes an awful lot of horsepower to play a basic, fairly low resolution video on Youtube or the like.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You really don't notice flash CPU usage over in Windows when you have a much wider choice of GPUs. It's tougher on laptops though.

Does Flash 10 on OS X use the GPU acceleration?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But isn't that kind of the point? I mean, fundamentally, why should you need a 256MB high performance video card running at some ungodly clock speed to show a 320x240 video at ... what, maybe 24fps, if that? Even with all the changes made to Flash over the years to make video playing a priority, Flash is just grossly inefficient.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm not arguing that Flash is great. It has just turned into the lowest common denominator and it's pathetic at best still.