What's using my cpu resource?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lloyd709, Jun 13, 2009.

1. lloyd709 macrumors 6502

For the past hour Activity Monitor has reported that 50% my CPU resource is being used by 'user' but I'm not doing anything apart from viewing the odd web page. Activity Monitor reports that Safari and Activity Monitor are my biggest processes! My fans are going crazy trying to keep my computer cool and iStat is also reporting that something is hammering my computer (a Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro) but I don't know what it is. Does anyone know what it might be and why isn't Activity Monitor telling me what it is. Is there a 3rd party Activity Monitor type program that will actually tell me what my processors are doing?

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Is there heavy flash on the pages you are viewing? That has been known to kick up the CPU usage and get the fans revving...

Try a restart. Sometimes things get "stuck" for lack of a betyter word...

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Do you have it set to show all processes?

Attached Files:

4. lloyd709 thread starter macrumors 6502

It wasn't showing all processes - thanks for pointing that out. I rebooted and it sorted things out. If it happens again hopefully I will be able to spot what process is tanking my machine now I've set it to show all processes.