Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
On the ATT iphone, I was able to switch from 3G to Edge just by toggling a button in the options menu.

Now with the vIphone I don't see such options.

What is the EDGE equivalent on vIphone?

Can this EDGE equivalent be accessed in the options?

dwguertin

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Some would say that, all we have is edge. We are in the slow lane.

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Some would say that, all we have is edge. We are in the slow lane.

Speak for yourself. I've had My vIphone since launce and it is just as fast as my ATT iphone. better battery life and I have service to boot.

Does anyone know verizon's equivalent of the EDGE network?

dwguertin

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011

Im going by all the posts on this site. It works ok for me.

I don't see a way to change it manually to what the iPhone displays as "0".

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Speak for yourself. I've had My vIphone since launce and it is just as fast as my ATT iphone. better battery life and I have service to boot.

Does anyone know verizon's equivalent of the EDGE network?

Why would you even care about edge if you are getting 3g service?

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
It's called 1XRtt and it appears on a Verizon iPhone as a circle instead of a 3G symbol.

Verizon's 3G is considerably faster than AT&T's EDGE. There's some lies on this forum that EDGE on AT&T is as fast as Verizon's 3G but that's just lies.

Edit: Verizon's native network is 99% 3G, though there are a few very rural Verizon towers that are still 1x. I'm pretty sure if you are roaming on Sprint you will drop to 1x as well.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Back when CDMA 3G first came out and was rare, some phones did have a way to turn off looking for the EVDO 3G signal, to save power. Not much need for that nowadays in the USA, as Verizon pretty much has 3G everywhere it has towers.

ATT and a lot of the world have gaps in UMTS-3G coverage, so an off switch still makes sense in its case.

Last edited:

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
The "off" switch on the UMTS iPhone makes more sense, I think, not because of the gaps in service (the phone automatically switches back and forth anyway), but because you can nearly double your talk time by using EDGE instead of 3G.

So I wonder if the savings in power between 1XRTT and EVDO (which are both CDMA-based) are not as drastic as between GPRS/EDGE (TDMA) and UMTS (CDMA), and thus it might make little-to-no sense to add a switch to disable EVDO.

-- Nathan

Dandrews524

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
New York
if you go into settings>general>network and turn off cellular data, this turns off 3g data but still enables you to make and receive calls along with sms messages. making it a lot like turning off 3g on your at&t iphone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.