What's W/ Everyone Complaining About Weight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matty1551, Mar 12, 2015.

1. matty1551 macrumors 6502

Why do I always hear, "the 15" MBP is too heavy.. I need something that weighs .000000025 LBS."

Aren't even the CMBP's still light compared to the rest of the similarly spec'd market?

Is this entire community just that spoiled now that you think 15" rMBP or cMBP are heavy?

Either I need to be enlightened or some of you need to get some exercise.

So which is it?

2. Kirjava444 macrumors member

I think a lot of people tend to have bad backs lately, so the lighter the load, the easier it is to carry around. In my case I have to be very careful about my posture when sitting or standing, what I'm carrying and how I'm carrying it, etc, or I'm in for a whole lot of pain before the day is through.

Thankfully I'm not currently a student so I don't have to lug my beast of a computer around - in September I will be going back to school though so I'll be upgrading to a 13"

3. leman macrumors 604

When you carry your laptop around anywhere you go, every gram counts. Doesn't have anything to do with your physical condition either. I'd love my 15" MBP to be slightly thinner (less bulky bag, which makes it more comfortable to cycle) and lighter.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I'm with you

Yes it would be nice if they were a bit lighter but they reallly are amazingly thin and light already, and yes there is a certain amount of spoiled child ranting on here...

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Try lugging a 17" mbp with the power brick in a shoulder bag then let me know

6. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

'cuz they're a bunch of wussies

7. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Yeah, they ain't heavy. Compared to the cMBP it's quite a nice change.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I used to do that before I moved to my 15" rMBP.

It was such a big relief.

9. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Depends what you do with it. if your laptop is just used at home i wouldn't see that as an issue. However i travel worldwide on a regular basis and weight makes a huge difference - so much so, that i now longer travel with both an iPad and a MBP. So every lb makes a huge difference when traveling.

10. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

It's not nearly as bad as it used to be when a 15" was 5-6 lbs.

However, going from a pre-unibody 15" MBP to a 13" MacBook Air was a revelation in portability. Suddenly I didn't need big messenger/laptop bags or backpacks anymore--I could just use a map-bag style shoulder bag. Carrying the thing around with one hand was easy. And it fit on nearly any space.

Now I'm moving backwards a little to a 13" rMBP to get the screen and paying for that with another half pound--not a big deal, still uses the same bags, etc. But to go back to even a 4.5lb computer--keeping in mind the power brick is also bigger and heavier--and a backpack? Not a lot of fun.

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The ironic thing is that the 12" powerbook, the smallest computer apple sold in the pre-intel era, was 4.5 lbs. That's as much weight as the current 15" rmbp. Yet, somehow, 4.5lbs is now heavy?

12. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I remember the days when I carried around an HP Pavilion zd8000. Now that was heavy. Sucker weighed over 10lbs in total when you threw in the power "brick".

I used to ride a bike in the middle of winter, in the snow, with that thing on my back.

Kids these days! SMH! Don't know how good they got it, I tell ya!

SMH!

Harumph!

13. technosix macrumors 6502a

Unless I'm traveling internationally for work, my wonderful 15" MBPR goes everywhere with me. And I also have a MBA, but greatly prefer the MBPR. It's not just from the car to the office either. Our company campus is a vast complex of 15 buildings. It's about being strong, fit, having a good bag properly packed.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Of course it does. Although it will matter to some degree to everyone, a physically weaker person is going to be taxed more by adding weight to their load than a physically stronger person.

Though I agree with the basic point of the the thread. There are now two separate product lines neither of which improves on the 13" retina pro in any way other than size and weight (and a slight cost savings when configured with the same RAM and SSD). So I guess that extra pound or half pound really matters to some people, but I'm not among them.

15. David58117 macrumors 65816

It's not the WEIGHT - it's the FOOTPRINT!

When I kept posting on another thread about the FOOTPRINT of the 15 vs 13 retina, some people kept taking it to be WEIGHT.

The weight is fine and not the issue. I don't think some people understand the difference..

16. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Sure, and my desktop replacement laptop in the early 2000s was around 8 or 9 lbs with power supply. Doesn't mean I want to go back to it!

The MacBook Pro 15" is just fine--I use one at work, and have no real problem toting it around the office. But there's just no way transporting it much past that is nearly as convenient as tossing my 13" Air or Pro into a small shoulder bag.

17. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

My 15 inch is easier to carry compared to my Lenovo E450 neither of which are that heavy to be honest.