What's with the backlight here? [MBP '16]

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
There are some serious backlight issues with these new MBP15". I've gone through a few returns and all these display panels have a little bit of backlight bleed of some sort. It's not too present on light webpages/colors but whenever I visit a dark webpage or watch a movie it's extremely noticeable.

What's your thoughts?
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg IMG_0415.jpg IMG_0417.jpg

Notice the light bleed where the rubber gasket/frame is. The screen itself it showing as purple in the pics, but that's just the camera.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
Haven't had that on mine.
What are your specs? Even if you put a blank black screen up, brightness all the way up, you don't see some bleed? I've gone through three (online) and they've all had this to some degree. It's really frustrating.

Sanpete

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
It's the new 15". If I put up a black screen and turn the backlight up all the way in a dark room I can detect a bit of bleed on the sides (and not the top). But never anything I can detect under normal conditions, even in a dark room. And if the room isn't dark, I can't see any either, even with the black screen and backlight up all the way.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
Thanks for your responses everyone. As mentioned, I've gone through numerous replacements and they all have it. So I've come to the realization that this is normal. There is variation with the light leak, the one showed in pics was pretty bad in person. I could even see the light leak on lighter screens, not just dark.

Reactions: Sanpete

KayM8

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
I can't see any backlight bleed on my base 13" non TB. For others: you can go to whitedisplay.com for a black screen