What's with the crazy MB prices??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Dec 16, 2016.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I've been looking to pick up a 2015 or 2016 13" MBP for a fair discount, and have been checking eBay and Swappa.

The prices have been crazy with folks paying more than they can buy from a reputable seller like B&H or Adorama.

I just don't get why anyone would pay more; it just doesn't pass the common sense test unless your are from NY where B&H is taxed, or NJ and NY where Adorama and B&H are taxed.

I wonder if there are going to be better incentives after the holiday season?

M

2. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

2015's are considered "rare" these days and 2016's are, well, new. Troll Best Buy Open Box ones and straight up ask for an extra 20% off, end up settling for 10% off if they resist. I do this all the time. Some managers are open to negotiating, but not all (some get rude about it, some agree immediately). If it's missing the box or has a minuscule sign of wear, negotiating is much easier.

Got my nTB base 13" open box for $300 off retail just by haggling.

Or Amazon warehousedeals ("new and used on listing"). They are just customer returns. I also got a $2,799 15" that was "used" for $2,450 (after 5% Amazon store card discount). It arrived brand new, never opened...E ZEE was the seller.

I've never paid full retail for anything.

3. jerryk macrumors 68030

Since the release of the 2016 mbp the price of used 2015 units has shot up, a lot, like $200. I think a lot of people hear the performance of the 2016 is not a huge upgrade, the price up, and the issue with having to buy dongles, and decide to sit out the new units, for now.