What's with the ipad mini2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sentiblue, Sep 13, 2016.

1. sentiblue macrumors regular

Hey guys... I've always been wondering....

So it became common now that Apple sells the current product lines plus previous generation of it....
    But I don't get it when Apple sells the iPad Mini4 and the iPad mini2... but doesn't mention the 3. Why?

2. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

Because the 3 wasn't fundamentally different from the 2 (fingerprint-sensor, gold colour), 2 is now the bottom end iPad for sale.

3. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I know Apple likes to continue selling iPads that are several generations old to make the most profit from them, but I think it is weird to continue selling the iPad 2 instead of the iPad 3 when the only difference is Touch ID. It can't cost them that much more for that.

Maybe Apple figures there are enough people out there who wouldn't buy the iPad mini 4 if the cheaper iPad had Touch ID.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The iPad mini 3 was something of a joke. It was just a 2 with TouchID. It's not the first time Apple has snubbed a model like this. When the full sized iPad 4 came out it also removed the iPad 3 from the lineup and they sold it along side the iPad 2. Of course, the iPad 3 was the only model to have a successor released just 8 months after its launch.

5. sentiblue thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the explaination guys... makes sense now...

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

It still doesn't make sense to me. Selling the 3 would be consistent with selling "last gen". I know the 2 and the 3 were the same except for Touch ID, but if you're going to drop one of the two, it should have been the 2 so that Apple's entire lineup would have Touch ID.

7. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Especially with their big Apple Pay push.

8. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

This.

To me, that's the weird part. Cause I can see them upselling for Touch-ID.

9. g35 macrumors 6502a

Apple sometime releases a dud model with a new name (iPad 3 - underpowered with low battery life) and ends up dropping it quickly. They stopped selling the iPad 3 but kept selling the iPad 2 long after. Same thing here. You could argue that the iPhone 6 is same way. The iPhone 5 and 7 (and all S models) had huge processor improvements. The 6 is the only recent model with only modest processing speed improvement over last gen, and now it's been replaced by iPhone SE which is cheaper and faster

10. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Anyone else notice the fact that with the iPad mini 2 apple have restricted the power sources somehow?

Prior to the ios10 update my third party (non mfi) cable and old iPod (also 3rd party) plug stopped working and simply showed not charging in the corner.

[​IMG]

I just so happened to have my mfi anker cable that plugged into my work pc that synced fine but yet still failed to charge..

I located my iPhone charger and plugged in the anker cable which suddenly started to charge meaning apple have done something to stop under performing potentially harmful chargers from being used.

Interestingly my colleagues official apple cable and his pc charged his iPhone 6s fine but the iPad no such joy.

Please can someone confirm if similar tests result in the same outcome? I believe it's an iPad age thing whereby certain generations get limitations.

11. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Erm, the fingerprint sensor is GOLD actually. I remember when I still had my iPad Air and my iPhone 6 and I was holding my finger on the homebutton of the iPad waiting for it to unlock. And waiting. And waiting.