whats with the iphone "Backing up" every single time i connect to itunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejrizo, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

its annoying as it takes so long to back up... anyone know of any solutions or ways around this? thanks in advance and sorry if this has been posted...

this wasnt like this before the 2.0 update

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

in the itunes preferences under the syncing tab, you can disable automatic syncing.

3. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

My iPod is doing that to now.

It's not syncing, it's backing up.

Two different things.

I don't mind it, but it takes a good twenty minutes!

Atleast for me.

It was nice though.
    I restored my iPod, and then it got my info from the previous backup and it was like it was never restored.

Pretty neat.
    Just wished it didn't take so long.

4. harodude macrumors regular

Wouldnt it be possible to just download any Apps that you want directly through the App store on the iPhone, uncheck syncing, resulting in you just having to manually manage music and videos?

That would be best IMO, because of no backup times, and more customizable.

5. ejrizo thread starter macrumors 6502

ejrizo

would that disable the backup function and keep the syncing? if so thats what i want... i can back up my phone when i want by right clicking on it on the device list to the left of itunes....

but its annoying when i hit the Sync button and its doing back ups... i want to manually tell itunes when to back up not every time i hit sync.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I agree with the OP, the back-up does take a really long time, and I've found myself doing something else on the internet, just to occupy myself and not get upset while waiting 15-20 minutes every time I sync to change my playlists. I'm one of those 3G iPhone owners that loves to utilize "playlists" on a regular basis...:eek:

7. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

backing up is important. it should take however long it needs.

It has saved me numerous times.

8. ejrizo thread starter macrumors 6502

ejrizo

although i agree i dont think it should take this long... especially when it does it all the time...

i am someone who does believe in backup... as i have purchased a time machine and have an extra hard drive to back up my mac... but that is done in a seamless manor that doesn't disable your computer when doing it.

that iphone is really not usable when being backed up.

yesterday it took like 30 minutes to backup ... that is to long for something that is physically connected through usb 2.0 and only have about 2 gigs being used up

9. izibo macrumors 6502

The worst part is that the backup size is about 350MB for me (and I have downloaded a good 200 megs in apps). It's taking 25-30 minutes to backup 350 megs? I mean, come on. That is unbelievably bad.

If it were backing up 14 gigs in 25-30 minutes, I'd be a little disappointed but at least I'd understand.

10. dodonutter macrumors regular

Don't think anyone has mentioned the fact you can cancel the back up if you want and it will still sync. Just hit the little 'x' in a circle to the right of the "backing up iPhone" display.

I usually leave it to back up if i have the time but otherwise cancel it, phone won't have changed that much if i don't back up for a day or 2

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It may be backing up things from Apps. Like if you played a game and it saved your score or whatever. Granted it does take a while but that might be what it's poking at.

12. bstpierre macrumors 6502

No, I manually sync and it does the backup first when I hit the sync button. Mine only takes 5 to 10 seconds. I have downloaded only six applications though.

13. ejrizo thread starter macrumors 6502

ejrizo

thanks i didnt know that... will have to try that when i get home... if thats the case then i can live with that.

14. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

Mine only backs up if i am syncing apps that i didn't load through itunes, but it doesn't last 25- 30 mins for me, at the most it's been is 3 mins depending on how many apps i loaded without doing a back up.

15. Yomo macrumors newbie

Mine backs up each time I sync but it only takes about ~20 seconds. I have about 7.5GB of music, video and a handful of apps.

Either mine's not really backing up or there's a problem with the others taking 20 minutes.

16. Hooka macrumors regular

Hooka

This works great, thank you for having the nerve to hit the "x" when no one else did.