What's with the rumor's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uberamd, Jun 9, 2009.

1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I am satisfied with the results of the iPhone update (3GS). I think it is a useful upgrade for those who qualify for a new 2 year contract, but slightly expensive for those who don't but already own the 3G.

This is my first time following an Apple device release and my first few weeks as a member here so this whole rumor extravaganza was new to me. I am curious as to the motivation/reasoning behind all of the rumors I read here. I as astounded by the sheer quantity of them. An example off the top of my head is the guy who claimed he had the phone with the front facing camera, in his possession, and took pictures trying to prove it. Some people said "NOOO, he has 2 left hands, its fake", but others were bent on believing it. So many people here were 100% convinced there would be a front facing camera.

Off the top of my head, the rumors I remember are
    • Front facing camera
    • Matte finish
    • Light-up logo
    • Removal of chrome finish
    • Thinner profile
    • Increased speeds
    • Autofocus camera
    • Compass
    And I know there are more.

While a few of them came true, many did not, which is a bummer in some cases. So I am curious to the motivation of those who make these rumors, what is the point?

I can't wait until the next Apple event, so I can witness the excitement all over again.

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

The look of the iPhone 3G was already sexy, it was no point of changing it. One thing the 3G casing doesn't have is "Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating". This is GREAT for the black 3GS.

3. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Well they were RUMORS, after all.

That should be enough to answer you question alone.

4. matttye macrumors 601

A lot of the time it's just failed reading comprehension, or chinese whispers.

Guy 1: I think the next iPhone will have a light up logo.
    Guy 2 posts this on another site: The next iPhone might have a light up logo.
    Guy 3 posts on yet another site: The next iPhone will have a light up logo.

5. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Who's to say that some of these could be true for the the next gen iphone...maybe this release was too premature for such massive changes.

Not to mention...I read in another thread that apple is trying not to piss off people that wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade. I hope this is true...but I think sales would be more important to them, in which case they probably made a good call for new customers...but not for upgraders. (in my opinion)

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

The chinese were actually right, lol.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=699939

7. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

You know how sad I was because there was no matte case??!?!? That was (srsly) one of the HUGE selling points for me...

8. TheMBC macrumors 6502

9. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

One rumor I recall is that Apple bought a load of 5 megapixel lenses.
    I wonder where they went??

I think that Apple has done this because they know that most of their customers are repeat customers (despite what graphs they show), and that means that most of their customer (in their primary market - USA) are in the middle of a contract so any changes bigger than what we saw yesterday would not be fair to them.

Next year I would expect much bigger changes to what we saw yesterday ready for owners of the 3G reaching the end of the contract terms.

The whole 12 / 18 / 24 month contract thing from a mobile network will not help Apple who work to a 12 month product cycle.

So this poses a new question:
    Would you pay more for a handset initially + higher talk plan per month, and agree to a shorter (12 month) contract period??

10. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

The front facing camera has been a dream for iPhone users since the original came out, and people realised 2G just wasn't quick enough. So people starting thinking about 3G version, and then inevitably the Video Call option popped up and it went front there.

The Matte Finish was actually produced and photographed so people bought it, but for all we know it could have been made by a company like ColorWare.

The light-up logo again I think people just bought this because it seemed so simple to impliment, and yet so much fun and very Apple.

Chrome Finish - probably the same as the Matte backing.

Thinner profile. Not sure where this came from I mean the iPhone probably can't get much thinner with everything that's crammed in there. Especially now we're talking 32Gb (twice that of the former highest, and more battery, and a couple extra chips of whatever) - but there were a load of Mock-Ups around the time of the MacBook Air.

I often wonder where rumors come from and I think you guys are right, you could be having a coffee in Starbucks and overhear the back end of a conversation where people are talking about what they want in an iPhone and bam there you go a rumor. Upload that and get the communities talking.

I wish we could have ticked more off the list with this release though.