What's with the "you're left with 2 more computers for authorization"?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AppleIsSilly, Jun 7, 2011.

1. AppleIsSilly, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011

AppleIsSilly macrumors newbie

So, this happened for the 2nd time. When I sync my iPhone, it looses all its content and I went for my backup, but as always, my backup does not contain any of my phone apps but it has everything else. (How come?)

Also, I then have to re-authorize me computer so that I can sync my apps to my phone, it's the same computer, how come Apple can't recognize it and told me that I still have 2 more computer left for authorization? Does it also means that I will need to pay after my 5th authorization?

Apple is silly like that, please assist!:mad:

This is excruciating, I just want to share my problems and hopefully this can help others!

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You have to de-authorize any other computers. After the fifth, you can't add any more computers.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

This is how it's been since iTunes came out a decade ago. Weird you're just now running into it.

Your iTunes Store Account can be authorized concurrently on a maximum of five computers. Each time you create a new iTunes library on the same computer (i.e. say you erase a computer and reinstall a fresh copy of the OS and start a new iTunes library instead of restoring your old iTunes library), it needs authorization. This isn't an issue if you remember to deauthorize your old library before you start over.

You can deauthorize a computer at any time (assuming you haven't already erased it). There is also a link in your iTunes store account area to deauthorize *all* computers. You can only use that link once a year.

iOS device backups don't backup things purchased from the iTunes store because they theoretically already exist on your computer. If you have a 32GB iPhone full of music and apps, do you really want iTunes to create a 32GB backup of the same music/apps? I mean, they should already exist in your iTunes library already.