What's with those Asian 45W M8482 AC adapters?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by skiff, Sep 12, 2008.

1. skiff macrumors member

I'm still nursing my venerable white, dual USB G3 iBook and getting ready to buy yet another (my fifth) 45W model 8482 AC Adapter. They all keep failing where the male plug-in mates with the computer — it's a crappy set-up.

It kills me to keep buying these damned things at retail prices stateside. However, on eBay, a million Chinamen are selling these things for only $25-$30, but it took me only two seconds to discover how unctuous those Asians are. They all regard the words REFURBISHED and NEW as synonymous. I've yet to find one who knows even kindergarten English — however, they know numbers good. Still, I don't want to give up too soon.

Is there anyone out there who has bought the Hong Kong version of the OEM model? The photos are identical. For all I know they may work fine. If not, I'll go for the Gluiness world record for AC Adapters.

Oh, and another thing, how can these things be "refurbished," nothing comes apart?

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

I searched "8482 AC adapter" and "m8482 AC adapter" on eBay.
    The second one showed quite a few. Some seem generic, and others look like they may actually be Apple OEM. One was listed as "Refurbished".

Generally speaking, they're cheaply made, run really hot, and don't provide the rated power. They tend to rate from peak values rather than RMS. So in this case, 45W if peak, would provide ~32W RMS. :(

3. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I bought one of these Hong Kong 'knock off' chargers for my CD MacBook and so far I have no issues with it. The only difference is that the power brick is ever so slightly thicker (about 5mm) and it doesn't have the Apple logo on it.

Performance wise, I haven't noticed any difference. It has the same input/output/wattage ratings and even has the same part number as my original charger.

4. skiff thread starter macrumors member

I'd be very interested to know your source of information in the second paragraph — this is exactly what I'm seeking. Can anyone, including the Chinese simply set up shop in a garage and legally make these things? Look under: Apple AC 45W Adapter on eBay, there are skillions of them.

5. skiff thread starter macrumors member

Well, we have one PRO and one CON so far — I need a tiebreaker!!

6. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Direct experience using a multimeter. :D

It's just a SMPS (switch mode power supply). There isn't anything special about the circuits themselves. So long as the packaging is different and it doesn't say "Apple, Mac,...", it doesn't violate any patents or trademarks.

8. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Well with the newer Magsafe adaptors the Apple ones are very poorly made anyway, hence the reason I had to purchase a new adapter.

9. skiff thread starter macrumors member

What's the "Magsafe"? Can I use it on my machine? Where is it sold?