What's With You Pre-Order People?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itommyboy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

I'm at a loss on all of you people in such a hissy fit over your pre-orders. Haven't Apple/ATT users learned by now to NOT pre order and simply hold your neurotic horses until release day and just go to a store and BUY THE PHONE then?

There are going to be plenty of 3G S phones all over the place at least here in the good ol US of A. It's not like Apple and AT&T are your only options anymore. AT&T screwing you on your so called "pre" order? Then fock them and go to the Apple store! Don't have an Apple store in your area (me neither 2 hour drive one way) then go to Best Buy and get one! Oh you say you don't have a Best Buy in your neck of the woods (you must really live in the woods) well I'll bet you have a Wal Mart nearby go there and pick up your new iPhone!

All this whining and bitching and moaning about canceled pre-orders and shipping notifications and tracking #'s is enough to bring a boy to tears! Do all of you people who pre-ordered think you're going to get your new phone any faster than those of us who simply wake up Friday morning and go to 1 of the 4 stores you can get an iPhone at? No you're most likely not going to get it any faster.

I understand in some markets pre-ordering is wise as they will go like hot cakes (San Fran, Chicago, New York City etc) but when you know AT&T and Apple are both notoriously HORRIBLE at actually knowing what the hell is going to go on until release day why even bother? Now you get to chew your nails for a couple of weeks (days now) and hope to god that because your credit card was charged that you're phone will be there at the end of your "special person pre-orderd but cancelled or at least not confirmed" line. I know this is a real rant here gang but god damn sometimes people (myself included) need to be slapped back to reality and stop making life so hard.

Does anyone else agree with me here or am I totally on my own and now going to be hated at MR?

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

There's always been a mentality in Apple users of getting something first. For me its just easier to pre-order it, not worry about it for a few weeks (or days) until it gets here. Its not an entitlement thing, more of a convenience.

But you could just ignore the tracking # threads since they're pretty self-contained? I admit there's an overflow of topics (canceled orders, phones that haven't shipped, etc.) but I find all the topics about activation errors, MMS, and tethering far more annoying.

3. astrobanana macrumors regular

all it does is take up time, and thats exactly why i do it
    i dot want to have to count every minute until it comes out, so i occupy my time with these threads
    it doesn't hurt anyone, so i dont know why your so concerned over everyone's well being

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Hello.

Do you have figures/stats/links/proof to show that The Apple Store, ATT, Best Buy and WalMart will have sufficient quantities for the 0Day + Weekend rush? Do you also know what the initial rush will be?

My local Apple Store guys told me that they will have plenty...for those who preordered. Everyone else, not so much.

I'm just curious to see if you could show me some evidence . Not saying that they will sell out on the first day, but you sound pretty sure of yourself.

5. Konz macrumors regular

I'd rather wait and see if there are any problems.

I'm not the impatient "GOTTA HAVE MY SHINY TOY RIGHT NOW, RIGHT NOW, RIGHT NOW NOW NOW" type... ya know?

6. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

You know there's a thing called the outside, right?

7. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

People just don't want to get up early, camp out, or stand in lines. Last year there were lines out of the doors for the 3G for weeks. People had to order them and then wait almost 2 weeks for their order to come in (my bf and a friend had to do this). I pre-ordered because i don't want to get up early and wait in line and hope there is enough of what i want at the store that day. But then.. i'm confident that Apple will have it delivered to me on the 19th as the promised... so i'm not complaining. (It arrived in Alaska from China earlier today! yay! lol)

8. astrobanana macrumors regular

well right now its 12am
    im not going outside

9. silentsal macrumors member

I agree with your rant in a way but people pre order for other reasons too...not just to get it quicker.

I pre-ordered so I know I would have one reserved...it doesn't cost any more money to pre order than it does to buy it on release day. Also, you do get it a little bit faster since AT&T stores are opening at 7 for people who did pre-order.

Plus there is no way that they are going to have enough iPhone's for everyone who wants one on release day. I was reading that an apple store employee projected over 500,000 phones were pre-ordered...just in Apple stores...not AT&T included.

10. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Nope no hard evidence only history and past experience buying both previous iPhones on launch day. The way I see things going there will be even more 3G S iPhones available because so many people won't be upgrading from 3G to the 3G S.

11. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Well said and I get that, I really do. But is there going to truly be a shortage on this new phone that so many of us have had for a year already? I know I know there is alot in this upgrade behind the same case I'm getting one because of the processor, memory, camera bump etc. But to many those are hardly enough reason to spend some nice change - again.

12. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Apple contributes to this problem by having these big event and then announcing a release date.

HP never has a release event for their new models. They just release it and for some reason, it still manages to sell itself.

Apple should just release the next iPhone without fanfare. Want to make sure it goes smoothly, just stack the stores and then one day run an ad on TV saying "iPhone 4G. Available NOW!"

13. Rootus macrumors 6502

I'm far too lazy for that. I prefer ordering from the comfort of my home and then waiting in said home for the phone to come to me.

But do feel free to wander around the city where you live hunting for an available iPhone. I'd at least call in advance to make sure they have some. But still, waiting in line is so 90's...

14. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

That's right, I prefer no human contact at all. I use the self-checkout at Wal-Mart, I pay bills online, and I pretend all forum users are robots. No human involvement! :D

15. Memesj macrumors newbie

hmm, I pay most of my electronics/tech attention to the gaming world where anything and everything is pre-ordered, complete with pre-launch stress, leaked inventory allotment lists for stores, badgering random employees with questions, camping, bitching, stressing, press releases from companies warning of shortages or saying there will be enough when there isn't etc. etc. etc.

so I feel right at home. thankfully it's only once every few years with gaming...

NOT pre-ordering? are you f'in nuts? :rolleyes: Especially with this phone, it's worth the stress to have it day 1. A little effort now will pay off later.

16. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

I agree Root and if I do in fact have to wait in line or heaven forbid not get my phone on Friday simply by walking into Best Buy or any other of the stores you can get them at, I'll post back here and man up to that but it's highly unlikely and again this is an important bit of info I know - where I live anyway. I know my city and it's economy and the marketplace and I'll stroll into Best Buy about 10:30 am walk over to our super smoking hot mobile phone gal that works there and say "hook me up with a 3GS".

It just seems there are so many botched pre-orders (yet again) with missing or no tracking #'s sent hell people are even getting orders canceled! That can't be very relaxing to know and deal with even if in the comfort of your own home.

17. Memesj macrumors newbie

The current reasoning in the AT&T online/ship-to-home order thread is that they will send people who ordered between the 8th and 11th tracking tomorrow. Meaning all the stress we have been putting ourselves through was the result of impatience (which it is regardless...)

I don't think any pre-order system is officially botched yet. Just some individuals...and really, who knows what their situation really is. "OMG they ****ed up my order, denied my card, screwed up my number transfer" etc. could still be the result of user error, bad credit, mistakes on forms, etc.

18. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

:D Bob!

19. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I agree, last year I did the stand in line thing, and got a color that I did not want, I've learned to love my white 3G. I will say I had fun standing in line, the people made the time go by fast, BUT if I can stay home and wait for someone to knock on my door and give me the phone I want, it gets no better than that. We'll see I may stand in line in 2010.:p

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I agree with some of your points, especially the endless whining about the same thing that seems to go on. I think Apple kinda started that when they gave early buyers $100 credit when they whined enough about a price cut. Now AT&T caved and is relaxing their early upgrade deal, even for people who would have to wait A WHOLE MONTH!

I have a feeling that a good few are the Generation Text kiddos, who can't go anywhere without texting someone, or at least be seen in public without staring face down into any phone as if their precious is inside it.

I pre-ordered so I wouldn't have to battle any crowds, or at the very least just annoying people, in order to buy a phone. Had the local Best Buy not closed, I may have gone there for Reward Zone points. But now the closest one is 20 minutes away, and I'd really prefer to not blow an hour of time when I can just wait here for UPS. The whole beauty of Net shopping is ordering from Apple, Amazon or wherever and having the junk sent to you. AT&T is shipping my phone overnight whenever it ships FOR FREE, so why even deal with it?

I've got a first-gen iPhone already, so it's not like I'm totally missing anything right now. Hell, I've been playing skee ball (OK, "Arcade Bowling") for the past 15 minutes.

21. Zeos macrumors 6502

At least we'll be activating in the comfort of our homes/offices, rather than wasting gas, waiting in a line, and then having to deal with a clueless Best Buy or Wal-Mart employee! ;)

22. Hints-The-Name macrumors member

Also my Apple Store is having 2 seperate lines, one for non pre-orders and non pre orders so hopefully I get a smaller line

23. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Preordering won't get me an iPhone faster, but it does save time for me to do other things in life like work or homework. Pre-order painless and quick. Before you know it the fedex guy is there.