What's working and what's not on iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chrismarle, Jul 21, 2014.

1. chrismarle macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I have a few questions about features in iOS 8 that I want to know if they are active and working for you.

First, the new Spotlight, is it working for you? In my experience, it's still like the old one, even if I have the right settings for it to work.

Next, in Continuity, we can now receive and send SMS with our iPad. In my case, my Wi-Fi+Cellular iPad Air receives SMS but doesn't let me answer them.

Finally, is Handsoff working for you? I tried several times to start an email or some web browsing on my iPad and then I tried to continue what I was doing using my iPhone 5s but no icons were shown in the bottom left corner of my lock screen.

By the way, running iOS 8 beta 4.

Thanks everyone!

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

1) What are you expecting spotlight to do? In iOS 8, it's very similar to iOS 7.
    2) Handoff is not between iOS devices, it's between iOS devices and a Mac. It will only work if you're writing an email on your iPad or iPhone, and then it will appear on your Mac. It does not work from iPhone to iPad.

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

What?? #2 is totally not true at all. It does work between iPhone and iPad. You can easily test this by starting an email on your iPad and it shows up on your phone.

----------

Hand off works fine for me. Make sure you put some text in your email and it should appear on your phone. (Just tested this) I was able to pull up my email on my iPhone from my iPad and the one on the iPad automatically closed. Works nicely so far.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

iOS 8 Spotlight search now include map, wiki and app suggestions.

Example:

I type "Taco" in spotlight search and I get map results for the nearest taco place to where I am, the taco bell app and a wiki entry.

the suggested option is still kinda wonky. At times I'll type pizza and it will show me "blaze pizza" up the street from me, other times it displays nothing.

5. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

For Spotlight, I am expecting the new suggestion features (restaurants, movies, content on iTunes, maps, etc). I saw videos of people actually having these suggestions but mine is still the "old" one.

Handsoff works also between iOS devices: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/continuity/.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Spotlight is still hit and miss. Sometimes it gives me suggestions and sometime it does not.

7. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

In my case, I have never had a single one! Hopefully, by the next betas, the feature will reaches my devices!

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If you wait a few seconds before you type something it will sometimes come up.