Whats wrong w/ the touchscreen keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by baseballbent, Jun 25, 2008.

1. baseballbent macrumors member

honestly i am very happy with the touchscreen keyboard. i dont know why so many people are complaining about the iphone not having a QWERTY/physical keyboard.

someone fill me in...

2. The General macrumors 601

The iPhone does have a QWERTY keyboard. What on Earth are you talking about?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

he means a slide out physical keyboard.

i guess some peoples fingers are too big or they type too fast to actually hit the right keys?

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the op is wondering what the fuss is over a physical qwerty keyboard.

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Oh come on, do you have to be so inflexible? You couldn't tell that they meant physical keys (like the Blackberrys)?

Anyway, the touchscreen is really nice. But some people want to either text in class or in the car (not good).

6. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

Try closing your eyes and type a message on the iphone...

7. baseballbent thread starter macrumors member

i can easily type on the iphone w/o having to look at it. after almost a full year of using it and 50000 text messages its very easy to do. sure i may make a simple mistake but the advanced keyboard always corrects me.

8. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

9. newyorksole macrumors 68030

People like the fact that the keys are always right there on physical keyboards. I personally love this advancement in touch screen keyboards and am very happy with the iPhone's.

10. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

I would much prefer the lavish screen real estate vs. having a fixed QWERTY keyboard.

Physical keyboard on a cell phone 5 years ago = Greatness!

Physical keyboard on a cell phone today = piss

11. baseballbent thread starter macrumors member

i used my iphone so much that the battery was shot and my touchscreen was acting up. i couldnt use the bottom of the touchscreen so i was unable to unlock my iphone. and before that my phone would freeze often and i would have to restart it but when i did it would freeze on the unlock screen and id hav to restart it again. i was a mess

(ok...maybe it wasnt from overuse, just wear and tear)

so i was outa town this weekend going to kansas city and minnesota. so on the drive to minnesota the touchscreen stopped working and i went to the apple store in the mall of america and they gave me a brand new iphone cuz im still under warranty!!! i was so stoked!! but they couldnt activate it there cuz the system was down for some reason. so i had to wait till i got back to Los Angeles to activate it. that part kinda sucked but it was all worth it cuz i got a brand spaking new iphone. yaaa!! and my warranty ends on monday. lol. so ya i lucked out big time

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

??what does this have to do with the thread on physical keyboards u started??

13. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Thats a bit of a stretch. The VAST majority still prefers a physical keyboard.

14. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Hes saying that touch screen keyboards aren't as trustworthy as physical keys/buttons. That is somewhat true, but I still prefer touch screen.

15. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

and 5 years from now there will be no physical keyboards on any smartphone....

16. baseballbent thread starter macrumors member

i dont know about that one. sure touchscreens will continue to show up on phones, but i think the physical keyboards will still exist for quite a long time

17. tritonj macrumors 6502a

and 5 years from now those software keyboards will be a lot better than the ones now. the point i think people are making is the current ones are good enough for them to leave their physical keyboards. i personally used both and they feel about the same so it makes no difference to me but i can certainly see the argument

18. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

In my opinion, the large screen size is worth the trade off. But all other things being equal (and they aren't), the physical keyboard on the Treo or Blackberry is a much better keyboard. Primarily for the tactile feedback.

19. The General macrumors 601

Well, I'm not blind and I don't need to type messages while not looking at the phone, but I have noticed that I am able to type without looking at the keyboard on my iPhone.

I am actually faster on the smaller keyboard than on the wider Safari keyboard. :p

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Sometimes I would prefer having both the lavish screen real estate and keyboard. A slide out touch keyboard would be okay.

(Hate it when trying to type into a forum reply field and the keyboard takes up most of the space.)

21. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

im gonna try this again, last time i tried i failed.... miserably

ChrisN

22. operator207 macrumors 6502

Tactile Feedback is probably the most common reason. I personally can type faster on my BB8830 than my iPhone. Though I do not type nearly as much on my iPhone, which probably contributes to the slowness of my typing on it.

I love my iPhone, but if I was stuck with having to choose between the 2, and my only use for whichever I picked was email/texting, I would choose the BB over the iPhone.

If I consider every aspect of both phones, and I used them the way I use them now, I would choose the iPhone. But since I have both (one is work, one is personal, I am not that rich to have have 2 phones), I have the luxury of not having to pick.

23. mark34 macrumors 6502a

The benefits of the iPhone approach to a smartphone are so vast that I am willing to sacrifice a physical keyboard. However, if I ONLY did texts and emails then I would prefer to have a physical keyboard for sure.

However, a physical keyboard creates such compromises in design that I just have to get used to the lack of tactile feedback you are faced with when using a software keyboard and get used to not texting while I drive (which is such a bad idea to begin with).

I am hopeful that I will get really fast and second nature with the software keyboard. I have used it on my iPod Touch, but I have not needed to depend on it as much as I will when I give up my Blackjack for the 3G iPhone. I am assuming that as with most things, practice will make perfect.

I believe that I will always, in a vacuum, prefer typing on a physical keyboard. That having been said, the iPhone keyboard approach is better than any other software keyboard i have ever used.

I have yet to be able to "two-thumb" type on the iPod Touch with any degree of effectiveness. I am annoyingly fast with two thumbs on my Blackjack.

24. macfearless macrumors regular

It'd be awesome if the keyboard had a sensor that enlarged whatever group of keys your finger was over. It's fine for now...

25. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Well I was two-thumbing on the iPhone from the get-go -- I didn't want to try with one finger at first, because I didn't want to get used to that.
    Yeah, it was slow at the beginning, and I had to learn to "trust" the iPhone's predictive text, but once I did I've been lightning quick ever since.

A friend gave me her BlackBerry to do something on it the other day, and I felt slightly retarded using the keyboard (similar to what I used to have on my old phone). It seemed sooooo slow to type on. And like before, I would sometimes hit the wrong key - but no predictive text software to correct me, unfortunately. I actually find the "tactileness" of the buttons slows me down in the end. I feel like I NEED to feel that tactile push of the button being pressed, whereas with the iPhone I just type away at ridiculous speeds -- with no worries of that tactile feedback getting in the way. I admit it seemed "weird" at first, but once I got used to it I realized it DOES make texting so much faster.

I've literally done texting races with my friends (because they keep claiming iPhone texting is slow, and I love to prove them wrong), where they've used BB-style keyboards, T9 texting, you name it...and I'm ALWAYS faster than them with whatever we're given to type. I've never lost a texting race yet... :D