Whats wrong with buying from this apple website?? (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yasin1, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Yasin1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys

As a couple of people have pointed out before, people who are eligible for the higher education discount (at around 15%ish off standard prices) are expected to make their purchase over their uni/college network or through the phone.
    However I have also seen a couple of people on macrumours forums saying that there is another apple website that offers these higher education discounts to people who cant access their uni networks (e.g summer holidays)
    This is it: (Has now been removed, sorry!)

Personally, it all looks v genuine, all of their online checkout procedures are digitally signed by versisign and I can't see what's wrong with it at all.

However, when I phoned apple all the people I spoke to told me not to use that website (without giving a reason) which is a bit strange
    Has anyone bought from this HE store with the web address I have and if so, is there anything to be worrying about? Why would the apple staff over the phone tell me not to buy on this website?
    Many thanks, Yasin1.

PS - I'm starting uni this september and have all the necessary ucas info that apple seem to require.

2. ag55 macrumors regular

That is the official apple store for higher education.
    The other two stores are only accessible through your college or uni network.

Its the same site

3. ag55 macrumors regular

4. Yasin1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see what you mean, but the first two links 'higher education' give bigger discounts of about 15% whereas the standard 'education store' gives discounts of around 7% - this is the one that is clearly displayed on the link you gave me (the bottom one).
    The link I gave in the opening post seems to give 15% discounts (not 7%ish), and so its not the same one as you've pointed out, since I am able to access it from anywhere.

5. JDee macrumors 6502a

Hi Yasin,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and AppleCare with the free iPod touch off the edu_77705 link.

I believe I may have been one of the people that you referred to when you said

The website is completely genuine and although sometimes they ask you for university identification, they did not ask me.

I received the MBP, AppleCare and iPod touch like any other person.

I would strongly reccommend you purchase AppleCare at the very bottom of where you are customizing your computer, it is ALOT cheaper. Buy it, seriously. I got it for £40 when it is usually £1xx something.

Site is completely genuine, and that's all you need to know :D

6. ag55 macrumors regular

In that case your only option is to call them (the link has a phone number at the bottom and the right hand side).

You can securely order over the phone, they will ask you for a studentid number and your education establishment, where its at etc and you might
    need to send in your UCAS acceptance letter

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

I believe that link you posted is for the HE Store page is for a specific education institution – if so, I would expect that the Apple staff would want you to use the HE Store for your own institution.

As suggested above, I would just phone in the order.

8. ag55 macrumors regular

NEW DEVELOPMENT!

So i just finished talking to a cool guy called rob from apple live chat, i asked him how to order if your not on your uni campus. He generated a 30 minute link for me which included the uni discount @ 15% for my specific mac model.

Just talk to live chat, hopefully you'll get someone nice and they will generate a link for you

9. JDee macrumors 6502a

Not a new development - just visit the link, you don't need to get them to something for you.
    That's laziness.

10. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I don't understand why you are not getting this.

The link you posted in the first post (which you shouldn't publicise by the way) is the official link to the HE Apple store.

The three links in the second post are on a landing page when you manually choose to shop through the education store. The Higher Education store gives a 15% discount as it is only for those attending some colleges or any university.

The last link is for all other, non HE, education customers. For example, school pupils.

Simples.

11. ag55 macrumors regular

Laziness is not taking the time to read the entire thread.

Yes you can get the normal 6-7% discount by clicking the education link yourself, but you cannot access the higher 15% discounts because you need to be at your university or college network computers.

As its now summer and everyone has broken up, the live chat team generating uni-discount links is perfect.

12. tommyGB macrumors member

tommyGB

Dude!

You just saved me **** loads. I'm going to do a postgrad course nxt year and was going to buy from the the third link as i dont have access to Law School campus at the mo. Apple care is like £57! thats a saving of at least £150 already. The mbp is a fair bit cheaper any way. so one word

CHEERS!

Tommy