What's Wrong With Firefox?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Amer2384, May 12, 2007.

1. Amer2384 macrumors newbie

Everytime I open firefox it says the application has suddenly closed, and i click, reopen, but it still does not work, then when I click Try Again, it restores it to its original settings, and works. How do you permanently change its settings. I've already looked at Mozilla.com but it did not help.

2. skwij macrumors 6502

It sounds as if you may have a theme/extension installed that's incompatible with the version you're running. What version? What extensions/themes?

Have you tried running it in safe mode (to access safe mode, you have to enter Terminal [via Apps>Utilities]) and type
    ' /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -safe-mode ' (without the ' )

that will start it in safe mode, all extensions disabled. From there you can either troubleshoot (very rudimentary) or decide to disable all extensions/themes. Then add themes/extensions back a few at a time and see if anything crashes Firefox.

Also, are you sure you've installed it correctly, rather than just running it from the mounted disc image?

Another common culprit is the Google Toolbar. Get rid of it first before trying anything else.

3. Amer2384 thread starter macrumors newbie

The only extensions I have are Dominspector and Talkback.

I went to Terminal and opened it in safemode, and it still closed down unexpectedly in the same fashion, closing down saying reopen, i reopen, it says try again, i try again and it works.

4. dodong macrumors member

dodong

I did encounter some problems with Firefox in the past, and a few times I decided to uninstall it and then reinstall once again. Some times it worked while at other times it didn't. During those times it didn't worked, I found out my computer had a serious problem.

5. Amer2384 thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured out the problem. When I was using ShapeShifter, it would not work out. As soon as I disabled shapeshifter, it started working. Is this normal?

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i'm using SS and FF works fine.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Same here.

Amer2384 - what versions of SS and FF are you using?

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

9. Amer2384 thread starter macrumors newbie

For Firefox I was using 2.0, and for shapeshifter 2.4.