Whats wrong with iMac G5 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Why are iMac G5's so (relatively) cheap on eBay... Something wrong with the G5 ? I mean, I'm looking at 1//1.5GB Ram + 120//160GB HD
    OS Leopard ect. for around $300 ? and its not just a one off ad.I see them all the time. Whats the catch

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

They're not Intel? They're alot slower than Intel? They're now around 4 years old?

3. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

They must be faster than my old G3 PPC.... Whats the best 2 hand laptop buy... for around the same price ($300) I'm not really a computer freak.
    Just something a bit better than G3 OSX 10.3.9

4. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Ditto.... just go and get your self a Mac Mini... much much better... even than some like... Power Mac G5's!!!

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Probably an iBook G4 if you're after a cheap laptop, check eBay, but the G5 iMac would be far faster, you can get some PowerMac G5s for incredibly cheap if you search around, keep checking eBay and you'll find a bargain.

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I think knowledgeable people are afraid to buy them because of the capacitor/logic board issue that they seem to have. Fixing it usually requires replacing the motherboard, which is just insanely expensive.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I thought Apple had now accepted that as a fault and were paying for the replacements?

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

over and done with I believe. I think apple had a special repair program that was in effect for 3 years after the purchase date of the computers that were effected by that issue....or those they believed were effected.

I think that program ended towards the end of 2008

And back to the OP's question, for a cheap enough price, a G5 iMac can be a good deal.....I use one every day :cool: