What's wrong with my Apple Genius?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idonotliketostu, Nov 28, 2012.

1. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

went in to get my retina macbook pro fixed.
    1. keyboard would stop working at random times
    2. severe ghosting issues

Genius said the store would need to order a display, logic board, and top case.
    As far as labor is concerned, that's almost everything but the battery.

Why won't they just give me a goddamn replacement?

2. Mrbobb, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

Mrbobb macrumors 601

He's planting the "low expectation" seed on ya. So next time when u have a problem, you think about it 2x, 3x before you decide whether it's worth the hassle to make the trip.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

4. idonotliketostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, just read the repair estimates, the battery is glued to the top case... so they are replacing everything... except for the fans? Which is the same as giving me a replacement. w.t.f.

5. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Sounds like they aren't replacing the SSD, so once your new unit is built, it'll pick up exactly where you left it off.

6. bill-p macrumors 65816

Because there is no way to know if the replacement will "fix" severe ghosting issue. Even Apple wouldn't know if a brand new in box rMBP has an LG or Samsung display.

And I am sure they want to give you a Samsung display as replacement because Samsung is almost guaranteed to have no ghosting/image retention. So... they're willing to custom build a brand new computer from scratch just for that.

I think you should rejoice.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My guess is that you're outside of the return period and normal operating procedure is just a repair. Why is it such a big deal to have it repaired? Apple built the computer, they're able to repair it.

8. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Well giving a new machine is much faster for the customer than waiting for the repair job. I think the issue is if they gave the OP a new unit, they'd have to rebuild his and sell it at a refurbished price, where since replacing the components, which they would have to do anyway before they could resell, doesn't take one new unit off the shelves, this is just a way for them to maximize profits.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm not disagreeing with you, it would be faster to just give the OP a new computer, but that isn't the standard repair procedure. If the OP wants to deviate from the standard, he'd have better luck calling AppleCare. They're more able to bend the rules.

Besides all that, the components that are pulled out of the computer and replaced aren't simply thrown away. They'll go back to an Apple repair facility that specializes in component level troubleshooting and repair. The replacement parts that Apple uses for repairs are often refurbished parts.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The repair procedure is standardize across the entire computer line.

Look on the bright side; next time it breaks you can ask for a replacement and a new model.