What's wrong with my compression?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iMacZealot, Jan 21, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I don't understand how my HDV 1080i60 video from the Final Cut Pro canvas can go from this:

[​IMG]

to this, when compressed:

[​IMG]

I compressed it under H.263, 24fps (video is natively 30fps, but I'm trying to cut down on size, but still have it look good), Medium Quality, auto data rate, 720x480 4:3, letterbox, and no deinterlace source video.

The video doesn't come out letterboxed, only stretched to 4:3, which of course, drives me nuts.

I'm uploading it to YouTube, and I'm wondering what settings I should use. These clearly aren't it if it isn't letterboxing, so what should I do?

Thanks! SOS!

2. SELFsponsored macrumors newbie

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

That's very helpful; but I've followed those directions on the second link and FCP keeps crashing everytime I try and compress about halfway through. Why?

4. SELFsponsored macrumors newbie

At this point I would suggest to export your project as a quicktime movie. Then take it into compressor and go under the web compression format and export it for streaming.

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

In the meantime, I converted it to H.264, High Quality, Key Frame Rate at 75, 220 kpbs, 320x240, and fit within frame. It managed to squeeze something out, but it still didn't letterbox it. At least it didn't do that thing like the second photo above where it only took up a fraction of the screen and reflected the top and bottom.

I may do what you suggested, but I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I've never touched Compressor. :eek:

6. SELFsponsored macrumors newbie

Most refuse to bother with compressor. It is a great and powerful tools to help get your project to the specific format. What I usually do is export my project in its entirety then pop it into compressor and get the exact settings I need.

Check this:
    http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/compressor/