Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
if it's an apache webhost (which I'm pretty sure dreamhost is) any spaces won't work right and capitalization matters. Check that.

EDIT: I should've looked more closely. See post below!

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
Somehow you have a folder called index.html which is way wrong. You just need your index.html file in the public_html folder.

Secondly your images are not in any folder named 'images' which is where your code is looking for them. Looks like you need to set yourself up like this:

/public_html
index.html <-file not folder
/images <-folder for images
imageName.jpg
imageName2.jpg
...etc

David N

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
The Land of Milk & Honey
Genius, thanks guys! This place is fantastic haha :D

Now, is there a way to organize this? Can I make folders for each .html page and have an images folder inside that, or do I need everything in the public_html folder with all images in the images folder?

Thanks agin, I got the main page working, now time to start on the linked pages... Oh, and any critique is also appreciated :) Like I said, this is the first website I've ever made, so... How is it? :)

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
You could.

/public_htm
+/images
+index.html
+/emilyn
++emilyn.html
++/images
+++emilynPic.jpg
+/jennie
++jennie.html
++/images
+++jenniePic.jpg

David N

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
The Land of Milk & Honey
Thanks again hobbbz.

Now, my next, and hopefully last question, is can I import a sliced Photoshop PSD file? I made the homepage by slicing the file and then using a table in dreamweaver and putting the images where they belong, but that's not working too well for me and it takes up a lot of time. Is there any way to do this?

If not, can I make it so I can make each cell it's own size without having to line up with other cells in the row/column?

Thanks

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
From Photoshop:

File> Save for Web> (adjust settings for quality) > Save > Format: HTML and Images, Settings: XHTML, Slices: All Slices or All User Slices

David N

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
The Land of Milk & Honey
Hopefully the last question...

Windows (using firefox) users are reporting a purple/blue box around the link images on the main page. I see them in dreamweaver, but they aren't there in Safari. I'm guessing it has something to do with the hyperlink... How do I make the images still link to another page but get rid of the purple/blue box around them?

Thanks again!

one3

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Vancouver-ish
If you are using style sheets just add this to your stylesheet file:

img {
border-style: none;
}

EDIT x2:
Just looked at the site code - on each page insert the following code right above the </head> tag:

<style type="text/css">
img {
border-style: none;
}
</style>

kakkoiimac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Paradise
As far as the link boxes, you can also do it in the DW gui when you select the image that is a link, and then in the properties palette input 0 in the border place

Attachments

• Picture 1-4.png
    Picture 1-4.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 311

jaikob

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Freeland, MI
i don't think you will get many buyers by saying: email blah blah with a description. The way that online security goes, buyers want a comfortable fealing of protection.

Get a couple of books, and build yourself a store, its very simple using dreamweaver.

David N

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
The Land of Milk & Honey
Thanks everyone!

Jaikob - When they email a description to her she gives them a final price and a paypal address. We're just seeing if this is feasible to sell a few headbands online for now. If people complain a lot, we'll look into an online store, but we would rather not get Visa etc. involved. She already has a few stores that sell them locally and wanted a sort of gallery/simple store. It was a spurr of the moment thing and I did the entire site in less than a day, including getting the hosting package and taking all the pictures.

Although I agree, setting up a store would be a great idea. Do you have any suggestions on a book or some literature to get me started? Like I said, This is the first website I've ever made. I'm more of a hardware guy myself (I have a small computer store and usually build 5-10 systems a week locally, people always chuckle when they see I use macs :p)

That reminds me, I should finish up my website. It would be nice if I could setup a store for my computers and parts as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.