What's wrong with my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by just.because, Jun 23, 2011.

1. just.because macrumors newbie

Okay 1st of all I have an old iMac (model 6.1 according to System Profiler), I got it in 2006 or 2007.

It's working great except when playing games. Keeps randomly freezing with games like World of Warcraft. Sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 1 hour. And it's just the screen as I can hear environment music and can move the mouse cursor around for few more minutes before everything freezes/blocks. Every time that happens I need to hard restart the computer (or whatever the term is).
    I was thinking that maybe its overheating, but I doubt that's the case, I have SMC FanControl and I increase my fan speed when needed, the temp. is usually 35 degrees Celsius (40 when playing games).
    Also I can see these weird 3-D spikes in games sometimes or weird colorings.

This has already happened to me a year ago. 1st it started rarely in games, then often in games and then I couldn't do anything anymore - weird color spikes everywhere, stuck pixels in one color, freezing, etc.
    So I had my graphic card replaced to NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (before it was 7300).
    And it worked fine (still does) except, like I said, when I play some games. I'm having most of these problems with World of Warcraft.
    I'm afraid it's gonna get worse like before until the graphic card dies again.

Now I'm not sure this time my problem is related with graphic card, could it be? Can a graphic card be so bad that it lasts only 1 ********** year?

Here are some specs if it helps:

model: iMac6,1
    processor name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    processor speed: 2.16 GHz
    chipset model: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    memory: 2 GB (It originally came with 2 x 512 MB but I replaced it with 2 x 1 GB some time ago (didn't get it from Apple), but I doubt that's causing problems?)

2. sauer228 macrumors member

Your iMac is a machine. Machines fail. Some last 10 years, others last 10 minutes. Sounds like a graphic card to me.