What's wrong with my MacBook screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joachimnb, Apr 10, 2008.

1. joachimnb macrumors member

Hello

I'm new here, but hoping to get some help anyway :).

My MacBook has these weird textures or pixels with different colors in the screen. It is not dead pixels as I can drag the cursor around the desktop and make them change a bit. But when I release the trackpad mousebutton the pixel errors falls back into place again. I've tried reformatting the hard drive, but it's just the same, so it must be a hardware problem? I am out of warranty unfortunately :(... Does anybody know about this problem?

See picture here:
    [​IMG]

2. eman macrumors 6502a

Can you hook your macbook to an external display and see if you still get these funky artifacts. If you do then the problem may be in the integrated graphics.
    If not, then the problem will be most likely from the logic board to your display or the LCD itself. Does changing the screen saver help at all or do you have this problem on any screen picture?

3. joachimnb thread starter macrumors member

I usually have the MB hooked up to my cinema display and here there is no artifacts at all. On the MB the artifatcs is everywhere... And they are much worse now than on that picture.

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

That sounds like it is a screen issue. To me from that picture it looks as if there is dust or something in between that layers of the screen.

5. lost eden macrumors 6502a

I had a (possibly) similar problem when I first got my MacBook (in fact it ARRIVED with the fauly, which says something about Apple's quality control). Turned out to be a faulty LCD panel that had to be replaced. New panel will set you back ~£100 unfirtunately.

6. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Something very similar happened to my iMac. The dots were blue.

It was a graphics card problem which they replaced for me