What's wrong with my MBP battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hzxu, Jan 23, 2011.

1. hzxu, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011

hzxu macrumors regular

I have a Mid-2009 MBP 13", just now I noticed something strange, the light on the power cord suddenly turned to orange(from green) and the battery indicator shows 15 minutes left(and decreasing, now it is 12), but it also shows 95% full and increasing, now it is 97% full:

[​IMG]

Here are some information in the Power section:

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 4854
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4979
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 90
    Condition: Normal
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 612
    Voltage (mV): 12567

Can anyone tell me what the problem is, is my battery going to die or something wrong with the machine?

Thanks!

Edit:
    The power cord is always connected for this afternoon, I tried to unplug and replug it when I notice this, but it did not help.

2. hfletcher macrumors 6502

hfletcher

I think sometimes when you leave your laptop plugged in, it doesn't start to charge the battery until it drops below a certain percentage. This is to protect the battery from overcharging. When it then decides to start charing the battery again, it shows the time left until the battery is charged. NOT the time left until the battery runs out.

So, basically, your battery is fine.

3. hzxu thread starter macrumors regular

4. hzxu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply, but the time left actually increased a bit, from 7 minutes to 8 minutes now, at 99% full, I'll see what happens next.

5. Srirama macrumors member

I have had this happen to me once,do not panic,it rectifies itself in due course.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The time you see indicated is the time remaining until it's fully charged. The time estimate can change from moment to moment, depending on the workload and power requirements of your system.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

7. mbp owner macrumors newbie

Try a simple restart of your computer. That always seems to help me if I have a problem

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A restart is not necessary, and it won't address the OP's issue. There isn't a problem, as the OP's battery and charging is functioning as designed.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

Like others said, it's normal.

I think the battery is not used when on a power outlet. Over time, the battery will loose it's charge and when it reaches a certain threshold, it starts charging the battery to a full charge again. This happens with my MBP too.

You got a timer for how fast you run out of battery and how fast the battery is fully charged. You're now seeing how long it will take before is fully charged.