Whats wrong with my MBP? Doesn't start?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stefanph, Nov 30, 2012.

1. stefanph macrumors newbie

Hey!

I am facing a little issue with am MBP 13" (2011 modell) atm. The laptop fell on the ground some weeks ago and the screen got more and more pixelated within some days (like a cable was getting loose). After some days the screen just remained black/no image but the machine was booting because while pressing the louder button you were able to hear the audio signals etc. I removed the HDD to grab the data from my Retina and inserted the HDD again into the old MPB and all at once it happened to work again properly, the machine was booting as normal and I was not recognizing any issues. After some test re-boots the macbook didnt boot correctly.. The white screen with the grey round loading icon while booting remained. I removed the HDD again and connected it with the retina and now it took some minutes till retina accepted the HDD and my retina gave me the status "Wasnt able to repair HDD MACINTOSH"... but I was still able to browse and copy things from the HDD.

The guy at the store told me that it could be the logicboard and that this costs almost half of what the notebook is worth but the logicboard cannot be broken since I was able to boot again today, right? Do you think is it just the HDD which may has some slight damages of the fall? If that is the case, can I just buy a normal HDD and install Mac OSx via USB?

Sorry for all of these questions but I am not that technical guy :D

Thanks a lot

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Harddrives dont do well with drops - it would be a cheap solution. Just get a cheap hard drive from a retailer nearby. If it doesn't fix your problem then just return it. You can install OSX from a thumb drive if you created one.

3. stefanph thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically I just have to buy a new Harddrive, insert it into the Mac, download OS X Mountain Lion from the app store and run that from a USB? Or do I have to get the exact same version from the old HDD and grab it somehow from there?

thanks

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

If you have not already created a bootable copy of mac OSX on a thumb drive you will need to go with a different method. You can use the recovery partition - this will allow you to download the OSX from the Apple servers.

You cannot download ML from the app store until you can run ML on your new hard drive.

http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/