Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
depends, looks bad now.

it depends on how often you open and close the lid or have to make the problem go away.

you can prob grab a cable cheap from ifixit.com or ebay.

shouldent be a big job to do.

or you could buy a lcd and use it with the external lcd as a desktop and buy yourself a new one or refurb mac.

good luck

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
depends, looks bad now.

it depends on how often you open and close the lid or have to make the problem go away.

you can prob grab a cable cheap from ifixit.com or ebay.

shouldent be a big job to do.

or you could buy a lcd and use it with the external lcd as a desktop and buy yourself a new one or refurb mac.

good luck

I only open and close it twice a day.

This laptop is literally falling apart. First the HDD died, then I couldn't pick it up without it turning off because the battery loses contact, then a stick of RAM failed, and now the display cable is going bad. All this over the course of a year.

I have a pretty powerful PC that I use for gaming but I want to keep this Mac in good shape because it's my only one. But I'm afraid that soon enough, the logic board or something else that's more expensive to fix than the computer is worth will fail.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I only open and close it twice a day.

This laptop is literally falling apart. First the HDD died, then I couldn't pick it up without it turning off because the battery loses contact, then a stick of RAM failed, and now the display cable is going bad. All this over the course of a year.

I have a pretty powerful PC that I use for gaming but I want to keep this Mac in good shape because it's my only one. But I'm afraid that soon enough, the logic board or something else that's more expensive to fix than the computer is worth will fail.

overhaul the beast

for a 150 or so you could make that into a machine to last for couple more years.

disassemble it and reassemble it with a new hdd , lcd ribbon , replace the thermal paste , max the ram and retighten the insides.

that will give you a longer runtime and make it better.

just and idea.

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
overhaul the beast

for a 150 or so you could make that into a machine to last for couple more years.

disassemble it and reassemble it with a new hdd , lcd ribbon , replace the thermal paste , max the ram and retighten the insides.

that will give you a longer runtime and make it better.

just and idea.

I threw in a 250GB 5400 RPM HDD already. And the RAM is already maxed out at 1GB. I want to replace the thermal paste but I don't have a torx t-8 screwdriver thats required to open it up. I went to my local hardware stores but the smallest they have is a torx t-10.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I threw in a 250GB 5400 RPM HDD already. And the RAM is already maxed out at 1GB. I want to replace the thermal paste but I don't have a torx t-8 screwdriver thats required to open it up. I went to my local hardware stores but the smallest they have is a torx t-10.

there easy to get online cheap

i bought A multi torx unit for 8$ + 5 shipping.

has all the odd sizes. 7,8,10,11.

nice tool. if you want a link i can get you one.

mmm

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008

If you have a Lowes nearby the carry them, unfortunately I know this for a fact as I had to find out a couple nights ago!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.