What's wrong with my Spotlight?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcdj, Jun 30, 2009.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Aside from being annoying and weaker than Tiger's Spotlight...that's another topic...I think something is wonky with my Spotlight.

On my desktop machine, running Leopard, if I plug in an SD card from my camera, and want to find only the RW2 RAW files, or only the JPEGs, normally I would open the SD card in the Finder, type RW2 or JPG in the find box and (annoyingly) click the name of the SD card (instead of "This Mac"...why must I click away from "This Mac" for every search onto the folder I'm already in??) and watch the results list populate. For whatever reason, this is not the case on my Macbook. It comes up with zero results every time. If I click back to "This Mac", plenty of RW2 files and JPGs are there...elsewhere on the computer. No combination of searches...Images only, system files, folder name, file name, nothing, produces any results. This is only on an SD card, and any SD card I use.

In an effort to trouble shoot this, I checked out the Spotlight preferences. This is what I got. I have no idea what the blank entries are/were. Could this be part of the problem? I am rebuilding the Spotlight index now. Hoping that does something.

[​IMG]

2. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Well I found some other folks with missing entries in the Spotlight prefpane. Somehow applying an "iLife Support" package from Apple fixes it right up.

I still can't Spotlight on my external SD card. cmd-F finds nothing on the card either.

3. jpma macrumors regular

I have that before.
    can't remember how I fix it.