What's wrong with my user account settings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fstigre, Jan 29, 2012.

1. fstigre macrumors regular

fstigre

Hi,

I'm currently having a problem with an application called QtCreator (by Nokia) where it is not showing text on buttons, the funny thing is that this only happens on my primary user account, because when I use a different user account every thing looks fine (buttons are labeled properly).

The only thing I noticed that is different between user accounts is the folder permissions for the folders used by this program, so I went and changed all folder permissions for every folder used by the program to be the same, I also repaired disk permissions using the Disk Utility but nothing still not working on my main account.

What could be the cause for some applications to run differently on some user accounts?

Why would some accounts get different setting when the program was installed?

Thanks

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd check the Nokia site, those apps may not be fully OSX compatible. It's always worth checking software update too.

3. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

Thank your for your comments.

The software is up to date and I actually posted on their forum and they said the problem was on my end since it works when used with different user accounts.

Thanks

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

maybe run it as an administrator and give full access to the program from all accounts.
    If not delete it and reinstall it with full admin privileges for all accounts.

5. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

7. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

I might try to do the reset.

I don't delete this account because I'm afraid that some programs will not function properly like Quicken, iPhoto, iTunes etc. but I would do this if someone shows me or point me to where I can find information on how to change to a different account but some how keeping my existing settings.

Could something like this work?

1-Backup existing home directory
    2-Delete existing account
    3-Create new account with the same name as the deleted one
    4-Move home directory from backup

Thanks a lot for your help!

8. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

Found and fixed the problem.

The problem had to do with some corrupted fonts and as soon as I recover my system and user fonts to the default the application started working fine.

I basically followed the steps in the following page...

http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html

Go to the bottom of the page to the Reinstalling your fonts: section and follow the instructions there. The instructions in this article are to restore your system and library fonts but if you have fonts in your user Fonts folder move them to a different folder and move them back using Font Book, the reason I used Font Book is because when you drop them into it to installed them, Font Book actually verifies that there are no duplicates in the other Fonts folders which could lead to font collision or corrupted fonts.

Read the whole article to have a better understanding of how fonts work, that’s a very good article.

Thanks