Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Lets express our concerns here.

At $1699, a $500 premium over the current 13" MBP, we get a 128GB SSD, new design and retina display, no dedicated graphics and no upgrade option to 16GB RAM = WAY OVERPRICED

Wth Apple???

Last edited:

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
Idk why the hell they wouldnt offer 16GB ram. Any way I look at this notebook, its an awful buy!!

I would have paid the premium. Not getting quad core hurts, but I can manage. No dGPU is another non-concern.

But locked to 8GB RAM is a deal breaker. Damnit. Was really, really hoping to downsize from the 15" high res I have.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Specs are what I expected.

My only problem is price. This should be $200 less to make sense compared to the MBA and 15" rMBP.

It's even worse if you want to upgrade your 13" rMBP, considering that 128GB is not a lot of storage.

Like I pointed out, a 13" rMBP configured with 256GB of flash and a dual-core i7 is exactly the same price as a 15" rMBP which is more powerful in every possible way.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New York
No dedicated graphics = deal breaker for me.
Really hoped it was dedicated!

I think for the majority, including my self, we expected no dedicated graphics. But at $1699, it should have at least come with 256GB SSD and an upgrade option to 16GB ram. $1599 also would have been better price.

cokeb

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007

My only problem is price. This should be $200 less to make sense compared to the MBA and 15" rMBP.

It's even worse if you want to upgrade your 13" rMBP, considering that 128GB is not a lot of storage.

Like I pointed out, a 13" rMBP configured with 256GB of flash and a dual-core i7 is exactly the same price as a 15" rMBP which is more powerful in every possible way.

Sure, but the 13" is far easier to carry around. For those who value portability it would still be a better deal.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Lets express our concerns here.

I extrapolated the differences between the 15" MBP & rMBP to estimate what a 13" rMBP would look like. It was 8GB, 256GB at €1730. To get that now, Apple charges me €2070 for the "upgraded" model. Yeah, I just love paying €340 more to get what I consider a base model !

I could even (nearly) get an iPad mini for that money, if I could care.

I was pondering replacing my desktop PC by a Mac. If I pay the price of a base Mac Mini, I get such a high end PC in a fanless aluminum case that it's shameful. The only thing that vaguely remains interesting in the Apple world is the MBA series, but that's being taken care of. Such a shame Windows 8 looks like a horrendous train crash of an OS.

Peter.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Sure, but the 13" is far easier to carry around. For those who value portability it would still be a better deal.

Looks the like the only reason you should be choosing the 13" retina is if you want a 13" with a retina display. Aside from that, you could drop down the the Air and get better portability while saving a ton of cash.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
8GB RAM maximum.

Idk why the hell they wouldnt offer 16GB ram. Any way I look at this notebook, its an awful buy!!

This rMBP-13 option and pricing strategy reeks of hobbling the spec to avoid cannibalizing either the rMBP-15 or the high end MBAs. At this spec this thing should have been $1499 tops.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

No offense but thats a pretty silly comment.

The 15" rMBP is lighter than the standard 13" MBP, a year ago everyone who wanted a MBP used one of these 'heavy' models and survived just fine.

cokeb

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
No offense but thats a pretty silly comment.

The 15" rMBP is lighter than the standard 13" MBP, a year ago everyone who wanted a MBP used one of these 'heavy' models and survived just fine.

And a couple of years ago we were used to even heavier stuff, but things are getting better all the time.

It's not just weight, it's size as well.

To say that some people will value portability, and are willing to pay for it, is not silly -- it's a fact.

You might prioritize differently, of course.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
And a couple of years ago we were used to even heavier stuff, but things are getting better all the time.

It's not just weight, it's size as well.

To say that some people will value portability, and are willing to pay for it, is not silly -- it's a fact.

You might prioritize differently, of course.

I was commenting more on your "far easier" - its mildly, minutely easier to the point where the difference in weight is 400 grams.

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
People paying a premium just to get thinner, lighter, pretty screen.

I pay for performance, so it the cMBP for me. Maybe the last user upgradable computer, if Apple continues with this trend.

Hopefully picking mine up tomorrow in Bahrain at the Navy Exchange

Just wish they sold a 15" rMBP without the retina, 16G Ram and a 512 SSD. Now thats a computer to have!!!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
good thing about the 13"? It let's the 15" shine even more!

Didn't follow the event and only partially the threads: any infos about the IR issue? Guess not...:rolleyes:

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I'm really angry, It is super expensive for what it is. The high end model has the same processor! And for that price it should start at 256 and go 512 with a 16gb option!

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
No quad i7 option
No RAM options
Only HD4000

$1699 - Saved.

This is the way I look at it. I'll wait for an update that actually enthralls me to open up my wallet. None of us needs a new computer that bad. You can afford to skip an update or two if it isn't what you want.

cokeb

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
I was commenting more on your "far easier" - its mildly, minutely easier to the point where the difference in weight is 400 grams.

It's not just the weight, a smaller sized laptop is also easier to carry around.

Not that I'd buy the 13" rMBP, mind you. Far too expensive for me.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
My MacBook Pro (13" - 2011)
8GB RAM - can get to 16 if i want (+)
128GB SSD (+)
320GB HDD in Optibay (+)
Internal superdrive recycled as USB (+)
Ethernet, no HDMI (=)
Paid 1150€ for it including upgrades (+)
Crappy screen (-)

This MacBook Pro:
Retina Display (+)
Lighter, thinner (+)
8GB RAM - non expandable (-)
128GB SSD - non serviceable (-)
No way to go Optibay (-)
No included Superdrive (-)
HDMI, no Ethernet (=)
Costs 1779€ for base version (128GB) (-------)

I think I'll switch to Windows once my Macbook dies, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.