What's wrong with the 23" ACD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2ndPath, May 11, 2007.

1. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

I have been thinking about buying a new display for some time. Now that Apple lowered the prices last month, I had a closer look again. So far Apples display prices were usually above the pricing level of other companies, which according to what I read on these forums and on other sites, is due to better components (panels and backlight) than many of the competitors. Also a reason for the higher pricing is probably the design by Apple.

Now after the price drop the 20" ACD is still on the expensive side for 20" displays. However, the 23" ACD looks cheap compared to the competition (at least here in Germany). Therefore I was wondering whether there is something wrong with the 23" ACD about which I don't know. I read about pink color casts but this seemed to be a problem when this display was first introduced. Does anyone know if it still is? The second thing I read about was the "burning in" of objects displayed on the screen for some time. How bad is this?

And is there any other issue I am not aware of? It sounds a little bit like a deal which is too good to be true.

Thanks for your answers.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Nothing wrong with it, it's a killer product.

We have 6 in the office and I got one at home.

The "burn in" is actually referred to as image persistency.

It can happen if you leave the screen running with a still image on any display.

3. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

the image persistance is easy to fix though, it isn't permanent as it is in CRTs. You just need to turn the monitor off for a while and it'll reset itself.

4. seany916 macrumors 6502

go ahead and get it. it's great, no problems with mine

5. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT PURCHASE UPDATES SOON

6. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Do you have any proof, or is this just an educated guess?

(although, I agree with you... waiting until WWDC makes sense. Updates to Apple's monitors are long overdue)

7. bdemers macrumors newbie

Yeah... I appreciate the advice, but without evidence, it's hard to tell if you're just another person who read the buyer's guide and takes it to be gospel.

I want to believe you, I just need a little shred of evidence... even a "my friend's friend works at Apple..."

8. 2ndPath thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies.

I did not mention that, but one of the thoughts connected to the price cut was also that Apple might want to clear the stocks of displays before they are updated. But what might be those updates? If it is optimizing the display quality, I would be very much interested. If it were higher resolutions in context to the rumored resolution independence of Leopard, I would also be very interested. If it is the inclusion of an iSight, I would not care. If the new displays were touchscreens, I don't really see the used of that yet. Are there other things that might be updated?

9. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I love my 23! I'm actually thinking about getting another one to run along side it BEFORE they updated the line. This way they have a better chance of matching color-wise. Though, I suppose I could wait and buy an older version on sale after the new ones are released.

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

that's one sexy monitor you should get for sure

11. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Did they every fix that "Pink Hue" problem? I had read about this issue with the 23 inch ACD model. The display model at a local store had a pinkish color at the top of the monitor, very noticable. The clerk said it's because it's "on all the time." I bought the 20 inch and have no problems.

12. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

You Have to read what Steve Jobs wrote:

"We plan to introduce our first Macs with LED backlight technology in 2007. Our ability to completely eliminate fluorescent lamps in all of our displays depends on how fast the LCD industry can transition to LED backlighting for larger displays."

That explains LED backlights comming in new displays this year. That's how I know.

13. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I have one of the old style 23" ACD and am more than happy :)

When it eventually dies I will replace it with a new 23" ACD

FJ

14. thebrain74 macrumors regular

the only thing wrong with it is it isn't 30''

but really, its REAL problem....

its not two 30''

15. 2ndPath thread starter macrumors 6502

But he said the first Macs with LED backlight this year and the date of the total transition depends on the integration of LED backlight in the large displays. Reading that I understand that the large displays will do the transition last. The new cinema displays might be updated later this year, or it might be as well in about a year from now but not that updates to cinema displays are imminent.

16. 2ndPath thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to let you know, I got a 23" ACD now and I really like it. Thanks for your advice.

17. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

I dont know if anyone feels this but this really reminds me of my Exam time at Uni where we would all be talking about how a professor said "I plan to put topic X into the questions this year blah blah" and we would all be trying to figure things out from what he said or what he didnt.

Just get the 23 inch, Its a superb monitor and looks amazing.

18. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Huummm...I think you'll find he's purchased it!:D