Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NikiPod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
London, England
:) I'm a Journalism uni student, and I had been waiting to buy an iMac, but that was an update that was always 'right around the corner' so I decided to go with the 13" MBP.

My main reason for contemplating an iMac was the fact it is stationary and as such has no moving parts to potentially break (my 2009 White MacBook had a faulty hinge and has since died) but the MacBook Pro looks like it would suit my needs.

Are there any serious reasons why me buying a MBP wouldn't be recommended? Is an air more to my needs if all I do is surf the Internet and edit RAW photos in photoshop?

I don't know if you can tell, but I need some direction!

Edit: not that I suspect anything is 'wrong' with the Macbook Pro 13" just that there have been posts suggesting it's not a worthwhile purchase.

Last edited:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
13" Macbook Pro:

Slightly more processing power
Can upgrade RAM yourself
Can upgrade hard drive yourself
Higher quality screen, but lower resolution
DVD drive
More ports (Ethernet and Firewire without adapters)

13" Macbook Air:

Slightly less processing power
Built-in SSD has lower storage capacity but makes a huge difference performance.
Can't upgrade RAM yourself, but can order with 8GB for $100.
You can upgrade built-in SSD but there are limited choices and not sanctioned by Apple.
Thinner and lighter
Higher resolution screen, but generally lower color quality.

I think a lot of it comes down to the physical form factor and the screen, both of which are really personal preference. You should check them out in person at a store so you can compare.

If you get a Macbook Air definitely order it with the 8GB RAM option, it will help with Photoshop.

If you get the Macbook Pro you will also probably want to upgrade it to 8GB if you get the low end model, but you can do that yourself after you buy it. You might also want to consider adding an SSD, you can get a good 256GB SSD for around $200 these days.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
The 13" is a better machine, period.

Faster and screen is far better. Viewing angles on the Air are so awful, there is basically no room for moving your head without noticing shifts in color.

256gb SSDs cost $165 these days, and new ones coming out (Samsung SSD 840) as well.

16gb RAM costs $80 on Amazon.

You do the math...

NikiPod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
London, England
Thank you, both!

I think I've settled on a plan of attack for this macbook- as I'm a student I'll get a 14% discount, and the money I save I will put towards a SSD and 8GB of RAM.

Exciting times. My only hope now is that the pros arent all updated in the next few weeks, but you can't spend your life waiting for a computer company.

Thanks for the help, you've given me peace of mind!

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Thank you, both!

I think I've settled on a plan of attack for this macbook- as I'm a student I'll get a 14% discount, and the money I save I will put towards a SSD and 8GB of RAM.

Exciting times. My only hope now is that the pros arent all updated in the next few weeks, but you can't spend your life waiting for a computer company.

Yep, even if the Pros are updated with Retina, you can rest assure you still have a great screen. Getting an Air is settling for an average screen.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003

. . .

My only hope now is that the pros arent all updated in the next few weeks, but you can't spend your life waiting for a computer company.

Good plan. Don't worry about the Pro being updated in a few weeks - almost certainly won't happen.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Should be fine with the Pro, perhaps consider an external monitor though if you are going for it over an iMac.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
nothing wrong with it, it is a great machine. just bought one, and I have other macs. and I can say that the cute 13 mbp is a beast.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I would get the 13" MacBook Pro, then buy an aftermarket 256gb SSD and bump your memory to 8GB your self.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Still my favorite form factor. For me the only drawbacks are 1) Lack of anti-glare option 2) No Quad-Core option 3) No dedicated GPU option.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
The 13" MBP is a great little machine. The screen's gorgeous. I'm glad I bought this machine instead of the entry–level Air, back in the day.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Most people suggest the 13" Air over the 13" MBP but for me I ended up getting the 13" Pro since:

A) Just something about soldered in parts bothers me, I like to be able to upgrade my stuff whenever but I'm probably in the minority. I bought a 16GB RAM upgrade kit from Newegg for $80 (goes on sale from time to time) and plan to get a 256GB SSD soon-ish

B) The color quality on the 13" Pro's screen looks a bit better to me than the screen on the 13" Air. The lower res on the 13" Pro doesn't really bother me.

I think the key travel on the 13" Pro's keyboard is deeper too than the 13" Air since the 13" Pro is a thicker machine (to me its a slightly better typing experience) but don't quote me on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.