What's wrong with the non-retna MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whytwofor, Jan 28, 2015.

1. whytwofor macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

If I don't care about the retna display, why shouldn't I spend less and get the non-retna MacBookPro?

The buyers guide says do not buy, but I'd like to save a few hundred dollars if I don't care about the retna display.

What's the downside of saving the money and getting the cheaper MacBookPro? Your guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. L T macrumors 6502

L T

If you don't need the retina display then why not get a MacBook air and upgrade the specs.

The old MacBook will run slower becuase it has a HDD rather than the new SSD which trust me is enough reason to leave it alone!

3. Raunien macrumors 6502

The non-retina MBP is only offered in the 13 inch variety. If you don't need the display, get the air. If you need the power, get a 13 or 15 rMBP.

The nrMBP doesn't give you worst of both worlds unless the lowest price is the number 1 priority.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue is you're spending over a thousand bucks on a chipset that is over 3 years old. While you get ports and expansion, you're paying a premium on a chipset that is old.

5. nirvanemesis macrumors member

Check out this thread from a few days ago, it'll explain most of it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1841113

With that said, if you want to save some money, look at the refurbished section. I just checked and it updated with some older models that weren't there last week.

6. whytwofor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback!

Aaaahhh! That makes sense. Thank you folks for the help. I think I'll spend the extra dough on rMBP. I didn't realize the chips/hardware was a substantial negative.

THANKS!

7. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

The 13" cMBP was a good computer in 2012. Since then, it has not been updated so its hardware is outdated yet the price hasn't changed significantly.

I could recommend a 13" cMBP for $799, but not for $1,099. Some $600-700 Windows notebooks have a higher-res screen, better CPU, more RAM, more storage and better graphics.

If we consider the specs to be equivalent to a $600 Windows laptop, then I think it's fair to pay a $200 premium for OS X and good build quality/trackpad, but paying a $500 premium is kind of ridiculous.

Both the MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro are priced more competitively for the tech they pack.

Some people are still interested in the 13" cMBP because it's upgradeable and has a disc drive. Given how overpriced it is I don't think the tradeoff is worth it, you'd be better just saving a little more to get an upgraded MBA/rMBP for future-proofness.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Here the non-r mbp can be had for 800 - 900€.
    It has the cheap RAM and storage upgrade option, a superdrive / optibay, ports and is proven and reliable.
    IMO it's not a bad deal at all.

9. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

dunno about the 'bad deal' part, but i'd love to see it have its internals and display upgraded to whatever is in the 'retina' thing but retaining the same form factor.

it's dated, that's a fact...

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Old, slow and heavy.

You can put an SSD in it and more RAM but then it's just old and heavy.

11. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Nothing wrong with the cMBP itself. The problem is with the pricing for a 'new' one. You're paying current $ for yesterday's technology.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Nothing wrong with it...

but buy second hand for a 3 year old computer and get it half price...